Thread: Equivalent for Freud Quadra Cut?

Equivalent for Freud Quadra Cut?

So I've been using, and really happy with, the Freud 99-510 the very few times I've used it for shop cabinets. I'm getting into the house now, and unfortunately, between S4Sing the material and panel flattening, by the time the door panels are coming out of the drum sander, they're closer to 5/8 than 3/4 thick. The 510 is 5/8" high, and works nicely for 3/4 material, it works in 5/8, but doesn't look right, doesn't quite look like a raised panel! The only 1/2" high quad cutters Freud makes are 3 1/2 in diameter, which is not what I really want. Is there an equivalent 1/2" high cutter that is 2 3/4 in diameter, hopefully that has 4 cutters? Not seeing anything on MLCS....given the supply of material and time spent milling it, not really willing to start over and keep things at 3/4, and accepting 5/8 panels is easily overcome provided I can find a 2 3/4 cutter that I like.

I can't help you with the bit other than check other brands, or maybe a vertical bit might work. You may have to accept the panel won't have a filet and a shallower profile.

I had a issue similar to this once and right or wrong (re: wood movement), I laminated 1/4 ply on the back to thicken the panel. It all worked out ok other than the bit had a back cutter that exposed some of the ply layers. But they were painted.

If a flat cope cut would work with the door profile, you could do them on the table saw.

The only other option I can think of is resign yourself to making flat panels.

Don't ask me why, but after quite a few years, I've learned to pay close attention to stock thickness especially with the planer.

Here's what got me: For years, I've one set of "General" calipers: the cheap 15$ stainless steel kind that you slide with your thumb. And I have spent, literally, years, looking for them where ever I left them last. I use them for everything. Sick and tired of misplacing them, I ordered 3 more of the same kind "General". Well, from when I got the first one and these new 3, quality and accuracy went out the window. I now do not know which one is which. I checked last night, and between the 4 of them, and a few beers, they differ by somewhere between 1/64 and 1/128. Well, in my head I have the "conversion" by how far off the gauge on my Jet Planer is (always over by 1/32) and have always compensated correctly with the original caliper. Now with these garbage calipers that are either over or under, throughout the entire milling process I ended up "Less than" 3/4, and actually closer to 5/8ths. I'm gonna make the 5/8ths panels work, it's the downstairs laundry and bath, no one is going to notice, and with the doors close, they're gonna look like....raised panel doors.