Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Need Lumber Cut Into Strips...

It looks like you can create an account with Midwest. They have a "cart" option so I would guess once you have an account you can buy direct from them. Since they have the special tools to make it I bet they will make any size or quantity you want. I'm sure they aren't going to want to deal with a guy who's buying 5 sticks but for the amount you say you are looking for I bet you could possibly get wholesale pricing.

A simple Google search for 1/16 basswood brings up this source. I'm sure a veneer slitter or metal shear is used to size the stock you are currently buying. There are also leather tools made with a knife to size strips of leather. But I don't know if you are interested in sizing yourself. Add much labor and the cheaper price will disappear. https://ocoochhardwoods.com/scroll-saw-lumber/basswood/

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Can you even buy an 8' basswood board?
    Absolutely. But I'm talking "normal" thickness boards. I have a nice 8/4 completely clear piece sitting in the shop right now for a couple guitar bodies. $6 a bd ft.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Absolutely. But I'm talking "normal" thickness boards. I have a nice 8/4 completely clear piece sitting in the shop right now for a couple guitar bodies. $6 a bd ft.
    See: You learn something new every day. I am still super-curious as to what the OP is actually building with these sticks.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

https://www.wintersteiger.com/us/Woo...ing-Frame-Saws

Look at the website above. They make thin blade resaws. They can bury you with those toothpicks in minutes. Their blades have very narrow kerf and can cut very cleanly.

Making those strips on the tablesaw will loose three times as much material as you yield.

Or, look up Marunaka Planers. They slice wood, so there is nothing lost to a kerf. Popsicle sticks are sliced, though the wood is usually steamed to make it more like hard cheese.
    I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

I would talk to a veneer supplier and see what ideas they might have. The 1/16" dimension is not unheard of thickness for veneer, and I suspect they could put you in touch with someone that could crank out heaps of product. I have always had good luck with Certainly Wood.

Certainly wood has a few different 1/16" thick veneers now, but not bass. https://certainlywood.com/woodmenu2....ness%20Veneers
    Last edited by Brad Shipton; 01-19-2021 at 6:30 PM. Reason: added link to special veneer thickness at CW

Most modern veneer slicing companies are not set up to produce a 1/16" thick product. If you can find a veneer slicer to make it, this would be your lowest cost option.

Second choice will be to have standard boards resawn into veneer, and then sliced to width. When you calculate in sanding, you will probably have around $2.00 per square foot for the millwork, plus the cost of the raw material.

I don't know how that compares with what you are currently paying.

Have you reached out to any local cabinet/millwork shops? I'd gladly make a few thousand of those for shop rate. Of course, it would have to be a large enough order to offset set up time. There are lots of starving wood workers out there.

Dustin,

Don't know if anyone mentioned them, but I order basswood from Heinecke: https://heineckewood.com/
    I've bought 8/4, 12/4 and 16/4 planks. The quality has been outstanding. They shipped by UPS.

Maybe give them a call and ask if they can supply to your specification.

Depending on your application, you might want to make sure it is Northern Basswood rather than Southern. The northern grows more slowly giving it properties desirable for carving, chip carving, etc. I understand the faster-growing southern wood can be coarser. I do have a couple of boards of of southern basswood that seems OK so maybe some is better than others.

JKJ

Lots of veneer retailers sell thicker veneers which are sometimes used to match older/thicker materials used in old furniture. I have seen it advertised by Certainly Wood, a veneer retailer. Might try to reach out to them to see what they offer.

Those pieces would be cut on a slicer then sliced to width. Slicers can cut up to about 1/2" thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    See: You learn something new every day. I am still super-curious as to what the OP is actually building with these sticks.

Erik
    He needs a bigger boat?
    https://www.britannica.com/topic/Kon-Tiki-raft

I'd call whoever makes popsicle sticks.

You might want to contact "Richards Craft Woods". He is in the Greensboro, NC area. He primarily supplies thin solid woods for crafters and scroll saw artists, but seems to have the ability to make what you are looking for. In volume he should be able to provide what you are looking for. https://www.richardscraftwood.com/ His phone # is 336-306-3986

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Hilarious. The OP is still keeping us in suspense.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep