Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need Lumber Cut Into Strips...

I Need Lumber Cut Into Strips...

I am buying many packs of material like this consistently
    I don't need it to be 2 ft lengths - it could be 8ft +...

I have tried calling several places locally to supply material like this but no one is up for it. Cutting it myself is really not an option.

I think my problem is I am not reaching out to the correct businesses to do this kind of work. Can anyone suggest what I should even be searching for when looking for a facility that can supply this? Sawmill?

thank you,
    DW
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-21-2021 at 9:22 AM.
    DW

Physically call the company and see if they will sell directly to you in the lengths you need, or maybe they know a distributor that isn’t well known publicly. Be aware you may need to buy a lot if selling direct.

So you need that thin wood in 8 ft lengths?
    If you can buy it in thicker/wider pieces and take it to a cabinet shop they might size it for you. It will need to be wrapped up with something stronger or it will break when you pick it up.

I don't think a sawmill has the right equipment. The dimensions you reference are 1/16x3/32x24". That is about the cross section of a toothpick. Maybe you can look at a place that slices veneer? Commercial veneer stock is mostly thinner than 1/16. But it depends a bit on your end goal and how much you need. Not sure this is cost effective if it involves significant setup and operator time.

Best,
    Johannes

That's a specialized product and the average mill isn't going to be helpful to you. Cutting that thin/narrow brings a lot of extra cost and tools that are ideal for processing thin material and that's not what most mills do. I agree with contacting the "manufacturer" of the packs you are currently buying and seeing if they can provide you what you desire in a reasonable quantity that you're willing to buy up-front.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    could you find 3/32" veneer and use a laser to cut it into strips? The kerf would be tiny if you can put up with the scorched edges.

What is your goal? Appears to me you may be just after a cheaper price?

One of the problems I see is trying to keep such a thin piece from snapping in the middle during handling, which is probably why they only sell such short pieces. Balsa or basswood are extra-fragile to begin with. Can you even buy an 8' basswood board?

Folks who do solid wood edgebanding are making something similar, but out of hardwoods. OP, what exactly are you trying to do? Maybe we can mindhive a better solution.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I am after a cheaper price.

These hobby suppliers are clearly having someone cut this material for them and repackaging it so there is no way they are going to provide that kind of info. I am not sure who to contact to have this done locally. Local woodworkers /cabinet makers/lumber suppliers I have spoken to are not interested in or are not equipped to supply material like this.

The actual size I need is 1/16" x 3/8". I don't need it in 8 ft lengths, I merely mentioned the length because the hobby suppliers sell it in 2 ft lengths which is not a requirement on my part...

I am estimating needing roughly around 2500 ft per quarter.
    DW

It would be easier to get the right solution if we knew how it was to be used. If the strips will need to be bent, you will
    have to specify straight with grain cuts or they might just break in use.
    The material should have vertical grain.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 01-19-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dustin wassner View Post
    I am after a cheaper price.

These hobby suppliers are clearly having someone cut this material for them and repackaging it so there is no way they are going to provide that kind of info. I am not sure who to contact to have this done locally. Local woodworkers /cabinet makers/lumber suppliers I have spoken to are not interested in or are not equipped to supply material like this.

The actual size I need is 1/16" x 3/8". I don't need it in 8 ft lengths, I merely mentioned the length because the hobby suppliers sell it in 2 ft lengths which is not a requirement on my part...

I am estimating needing roughly around 2500 ft per quarter.
    I wonder if in fact it might be more expensive to get such small dimension stock in longer lengths. Handling of such long and thin stock is likely to cause breakage. Packaging would likely be more difficult. Cutting waste is likely high for such thin stock so longer stock is likely more profitable in other applications. My guess is thin strips like you want come from cut offs that are recut.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I’d check with the Wood Component Manufacturers Association.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Oops, I shouldn't have responded to the post when on a conference call.

Yes large boards of basswood are available, I have one.

I would imagine that most of the thin strips are being referenced by OP are cut with veneer cutting knifes and not saw blades.

Laser cutting may be option. If you are buying 10000 linear feet per year, I would imagine it would be worth their time to setup custom cutting strips for you.
    Last edited by Rob Damon; 01-19-2021 at 3:54 PM.

He said Bass wood.
    what length do you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post
    Y.... If you are buying 10000 linear feet per year, I would imagine it would be worth their time to setup custom cutting strips for you.
    Yes, but isn't 1/16" x 3/8" x 10000 ft just under 20 bd ft net? Probably have more bd ft in sawdust from the kerf. The bundles linked to above seem to run about $79.23 per bd ft. (on the Wall Lumber site basswood is about $1.95 per bd ft, so a lot of processing and a lot of waste (+a significant markup)).