Thread: Dewalt 28V & 36V line discontinued why?

Dewalt 28V & 36V line discontinued why?

Does anyone know the backstory of why Dewalt cancelled their line of 28 & 36V tools several years ago?
    The entire line looked to be above-average quality and the batteries used were the desirable A123 LiFePO4 type that RC hobbiests love to cannabalize.

I have a 28V track saw and it's amazingly good but one of my 2 battery packs faults out on the charger & is unusable. I can manually charge it from a current-limiting power supply to 26V but apparently the circuit inside either the pack or the tool won't allow it to run. I'm curious if these packs are "flakey" and is the reason Dewalt pulled the plug on the entire product line.

They combined them into the FlexVolt, which is an awesome battery and allows the use on a 20V platform tool as well.

The industry seems to be embracing using multiple batteries for high-current applications rather than higher voltage single batteries. Along that line, it's not surprising that DeWalt would focus on the 20v base battery to support that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The industry seems to be embracing using multiple batteries for high-current applications rather than higher voltage single batteries. Along that line, it's not surprising that DeWalt would focus on the 20v base battery to support that.
    Just to clarify what a FlexVolt is, it's a 60V battery that can output 20V too, so it fits multiple tool platforms. They come in 6, 9 and 12 amp hour ratings so they last a really long time. The only tool that I have that takes two batteries is a big 12" SCMS. It will cut a VERY long time with two 6ah batteries (60v+60v=120DC), or can be plugged in to use 120v AC. I think the cordless tablesaw takes two batteries too. No one else is close to Dewalt on battery tech right now.

I feel your pain in no longer having the 28V batteries available. But the FlexVolt batteries are pretty slick. I bought the circular saw with 2 Flex batteries and they are impressive. Plus I can use them in any of the 20V tools I have.

I kept my 14.4V dewalt drill for about 10 years. My 18V tools also about 10 and have been using the 20V max tools since 2017.

(I love how other countries don’t allow the 20V “nominal” gimmick and make the mfg label them as 18V)

I agree. I have one FlexVolt tool and it's slick. And when I want super long life (allbeit at higher weight) I can use the FlexVolt battery in one of my 20 volt tools.

Going higher voltage rather than putting lower voltage batteries in parallel is smart. When you put batteries in parallel you have to draw a lot of amps to give the same power compared to putting the batteries in series and getting the higher voltage. Higher amps means that all the wiring in the motor has to be bigger, making the tool bigger, heavier, and probably more expensive.

It's a good, inventive technology.

Mike

[Note that FlexVolt is 60 volts when used in series. Of course, it's not really 60 volts but it's close.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-19-2021 at 5:24 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Just to clarify what a FlexVolt is, it's a 60V battery that can output 20V too, so it fits multiple tool platforms. They come in 6, 9 and 12 amp hour ratings so they last a really long time. The only tool that I have that takes two batteries is a big 12" SCMS. It will cut a VERY long time with two 6ah batteries (60v+60v=120DC), or can be plugged in to use 120v AC. I think the cordless tablesaw takes two batteries too. No one else is close to Dewalt on battery tech right now.

The DeWalt lawnmower takes two 20V batteries, and it needs them, with the 5 Ah batteries I can barely cut my lawn. They've doubled it in the new version, which has two 10 Ah batteries.

I believe the reason it was cancelled was that there was less reason to support so many different battery lines. Battery lines tie users to product lines, so the DeWalt 12v cannot benefit from tie in from your having bought a 20v DeWalt tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Yea, I didn't state my reply very well...I was more focused on the compatibility with the 20v stuff. A post-frame builder I follow on the 'Tube uses all battery powered tools and has said nice things about the table saw. He also uses a Dewalt "battery farm" which I guess has an inverter to power a big beam saw that requires 120v. I can only imagine how many batteries that dude has since with only very minor exceptions, everything he and his team use is battery powered and in "all colors" of the rainbow.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dewalt didn't "combine" anything. The 28v/36v line was killed after a VERY short run, around 2009. The flex volt didn't appear until 2016.
    I've read different versions of the story that claims that DeWalt had trouble sourcing the A123 batteries so they switched to an inferior Samsung battery in the packs. A123 then sued. I don't know the outcome but about that time Dewalt pulled the plug on this entire line of tools.

Not a comment on the Dewalt line per se, but lithium ion batteries have to be one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century. Maybe second only to the solid-state transistor.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Not a comment on the Dewalt line per se, but lithium ion batteries have to be one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century. Maybe second only to the solid-state transistor.

Dude, what are you talking about Gasoline powered hand drills are AWESOME!!!! Who doesn't want to lug a 25 lb drill powered by mini-explosions, and burning hot to the touch.

gasdrill.jpg

You're probably onto to something. I don't think EVs made much sense before the advent of LI batteries, let alone all the cool cordless tools.

The newer brushless drills actually operate on 3 phase A/C by using a controller. Ebikes use the same technology.
    Some newer drills might still be using DC motors but eventually if not already they will all have A/C motors except for the cheapest ones.
    This quote is from the article in the link, very interesting stuff.

Powered by a direct current, the motor operates with an alternating current produced by an electronic card that transforms the direct current into three-phase variable frequency. Thus, the coils are fed alternately to create a rotating field and thus the rotation. The electronic module, built into the motor or in a housing continuously regulates the current so that the motor operates at maximum efficiency.

https://cordlessdrillzone.com/drill-...brushed-motor/