Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 Caster base for G0490 Jointer or similar

4 Caster base for G0490 Jointer or similar

I am thinking a 4 caster base for my jointer would be great. I have an idea on how to build it but thought I would check here for some past experience. Has anyone built a 4 caster base for a Grizzly G0490 or similar sized jointer? Can you post lessons learned (what you would not do again) and some pics of your handywork?

Even tho I have the capability, I wouldn't even think of building one. To each his own, but I've had pretty good luck with HTC and ShopFox bases.

I have many customers with Portamate bases on their jointer/planers. Not familiar with your particular jointer but surely, there must be plenty of similar options.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I am a Big fan of the Grizzly mobile bases. " Bear Crawl " I have been pleased with them. Very well built and easy to move (good caster) I like the way they are adjustable to the size you need. You can even add longer rails if need be.
    The locking kick downs are not always used but work well on a level floor.

I have built several bases like this one, including one for a Jet 6" jointer. It works great. These are HD four inch locking casters. I used some scrap SYP boards to create the wood base (sized obviously to fit the machine). A little BLO as a finish, and it looks good as well.

Mobile Base.jpg

I could not find anybases made my Grizzly, HTC, ShopFox, or Jet that were four caster. Do you have a link?

I am concerned about raising the jointer higher. When the caster is down and I am moving it on its current built-in base, I find the jointer on the edge of being tippy. I can feel it want to rock when I am trying to move it.

Most off-the-shelf bases I have seen lower the feet to lift the wheels. I saw something similar to this while at work.

In this design they raise the wheel to "drop the foot" on the floor. This is the direction my design is heading. With the weight of the jointer at well over 500 pounds, I think I will need 5" casters to carry the weight. Luckily I only need 1/4-1/2" of lift.
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 01-19-2021 at 12:04 PM.

The Bear Crawl "Papa Bear" Mobile Base at Grizzly.com
    I didn't check the size or your jointer or the size of this base

The G0490 has a built in mobile base. Unfortunately, like the Jet, HTC, and ShopFox bases, the Bear Crawl also only has casters on one end.

all swivel base
    I have one of these on my 855 jointer. works great
    Bear Crawl All Swivel HD Mobile Base at Grizzly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    all swivel base
    I have one of these on my 855 jointer. works great
    Bear Crawl All Swivel HD Mobile Base at Grizzly.com
    That's a hoot. It is doesn't go narrow enough (front to back; min 19, I need 16 1/2) and doesn't go wide enough (max 29 1/2, I need 44 1/2). I know I could cut it to be shorter, but almost doubling the span is concerning.

I have one of these HTC mobile bases on my Jet 6" jointer and it works great. I wouldn't be concerned about stretching the span. The stress is at the casters not in the middle. The connecting bar isn't what supports the bulk of the weight.

southern-tool.com/store/htc-mobile-bases.php

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I have one of these HTC mobile bases on my Jet 6" jointer and it works great. I wouldn't be concerned about stretching the span. The stress is at the casters not in the middle. The connecting bar isn't what supports the bulk of the weight.

southern-tool.com/store/htc-mobile-bases.php

I only see two casters. Do they make a 4 caster version?

“The stress is at the casters not in the middle. The connecting bar isn't what supports the bulk of the weight.”

Good point. And the connecting tube is heavy duty. Probably find something that would work at the big stores. I cut my tubes off some for the narrow dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    I only see two casters. Do they make a 4 caster version?
    For clarification you want swivel casters all the way around? I see the convenience of it but also the drawback to it. I consider a heavy machine with all 4 casters swiveling being a hand full to control if not downright dangerous. But that's just me. I can see where it would make parking a machine in a tight space where maneuvering isn't really possible a lot easier. I don't see where they make one in that configuration. I was looking at Shop Fox and this one while it doesn't have 4 swivel casters does look like it could have the straight casters replaced with swivels. The mounting pads look identical. There might be other similar options.

grizzly.com/products/shop-fox-heavy-duty-mobile-base/d2057a