Thread: WEN 3417 Air Filtration System First Impressions

WEN 3417 Air Filtration System First Impressions

I have been looking at air filtration for some time, but never pulled the trigger until last week. I read a lot of reviews and looked at several different manufacturers, comparing stats, etc. I almost bought the Jet that is on sale last week, but just couldn't see spending the additional $120 over the WEN 3417. I did look a the Rikon, but it had mixed reviews. The specs between all the major brands were pretty much identical.
    The unit arrived the day after I had shoulder surgery. Fortunately, my grandchildren and one of my daughters was here to make sure I did as the doctors instructed. Unboxing the unit, I noticed it was well crated with no issues there. The unit comes with hooks and a few brackets if you chose to hang it from the ceiling. It did not come with chains. This unit was bigger in size than I thought it would be. It weighs in at 55#'s. We (they) got it hung per my instructions and powered it on. It is a simple machine to turn on. It has a remote and can also be turned on in the back of the unit. Not too noisy, as compared to a medium sized fan. This unit has three speeds with top speed being in the neighborhood of 1044 CFM's.
    I have noticed a large decrease in airborn dust just within a few hours of being in the shop. Before the purchase, I could work in my shop with the power tools, leave for several hours, come back, work at the workbench and still feel the fine dust on my skin when I went back into the house. I know that I was breathing this dust for years.
    Time will tell how well this machine works, but at this point I'm impressed with the quality of the product and how efficient it is at cleaning the air.
    BTW, I do have a good DC set up and use fans blowing out the windows when I'm using the machines, but this still did not help with some of the micro airborne dust. This unit may just pay for itself in a small amount of time.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Good move w/ any Air Cleaner I'd say . I use that Jet and the smallest Wen in the other side of my shop . The Wen is on 24/7 , and I'm happy with both . Look online for filters and buy them in bulk , save some $$ . My first thought was to keep my Mini Split as dust free as possible ,and it's working .

I have two of the smaller WEN in my shop. Control them both with one remote. Actually I keep a remote on opposite ends of the shop. It seems to be trapping something as my filter gets dirty. Would like to find a online filter source. FilterBuy wasn't any cheaper than the 2 pack from Amazon, but that's because they don't have a matching size......unless I am missing something.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

I have four of the basic units. When I got them I don't think the larger industrial model was available. Two are over my widebelt sanding area, one is over the edge sander/OSS sander area, and one over the workbench. They work great. The only drawback is they changed the remote controls between when I bought the first and second pairs so I have to use two remotes. Otherwise very happy with them. My dust collection system is pretty good but not perfect, and they really help with keeping the loose fines out of the air.

Guys, are replacement air filters pretty readily available? Are aftermarket filters available or just "Wen" brand?

Thank you.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have only been able to find the pleated pre filters for my Wen units on line. They don't seem to be a common size. However, I haven't replaced them in over two years, I just take them down and blow them out periodically. I haven't had to touch the inner bag filters at all.

I have the smaller and larger Wen air cleaners. I think they are a great value, and work quite well. I did get the electrostatic washable filter for the big one, and just buy the wen replacement filters off amazon whenever I need them. I have replaced the inner bags multiple times on the smaller unit, the bigger unit seems to take a bit longer to load up the inner bag filter.

I've actually been tempted to replace the smaller unit with another bigger unit to help clear out the dust even faster.

I also have a Dylos 1100 pro unit which helps me to see how well they are working and helps remind me to turn on the air cleaners!

I will say that the outer filter loads up pretty quickly when I'm sanding, so I try to check it regularly to wash when needed, it does make a big difference in air flow.

Have you tried Wynn Environmental? About 5-6 years ago they helped me out with filters for my JDS unit and at a good price