Thread: woodpecker tools

Arrow woodpecker tools

Have not been here in years, I was going to purchase a super router fence and a couple of others tools. The fence was out of stock
    back in Nov. now they pushed the date into feb. they produce there tools in house hard to believe they don't know there schedule.
    the other big problem is there shipping , they are asking $50 to over $100 shipping cost for the fence. Do you guys think there shipping charges are out of line
    Not sure I will buy from them and pay there top cost for tools and then need to pay there top cost of shipping.

Many companies are having problems since March, 2020, getting the raw materials given the fact that many suppliers have been limiting the numbers of employees working together and are also having problems with getting materials from other countries similarly affected. Woodpeckers does have an ongoing issue with getting products shipped on time when they are either One-Time Tools or new products that they haven't yet established an ongoing demand to keep enough stock. Certainly if your need for a tool they sell is immediate, unless it's a stock item, there will likely be delays and you should consider finding another quality company. If you an wait, though, there aren't many companies that produce the high quality measuring products they do. I own an MFT Square (an expensive OTT which is mostly dedicated to ensuring the guide rail on my MFT is square to the fence). It's an extravagance I will never regret. When the guide rail fence is square to the WP square, it's really square. Also, I dropped it and damaged it. WP repaired for free even though it was my fault. It's function and warrantee, I can't ignore.

Router fences are fun to make. You can start with an example of one you like, and then take out stuff you don’t like and add in things you wish the example had. Then it’s your own for the cost of materials.

WP generally makes good tools (although they have made some losers.) Their marketing strategy is to build so much "name" that folks will pay extra for it. Another profit maximization strategy is to make money on shipping, They gamble that once you have agonized over pulling the trigger on an outrageously priced tool that you aren't going give up in the check out,

Shipping costs have gone up everywhere I buy from, significantly in some cases, although $100 for a router fence sounds really high.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I had just posted the same complaint a week or two back. Here is here is the link: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....m-woodpecker-s

I was curious and did message woodpecker with a request to explain the shipping costs but actually never heard back. I don't care if people are working remote & telecommuting due to covid, they can answer an email.

So, I was curious and did a rough calculation of with some guesswork on box sizes / weight on UPS website and it did come out to about $70. So what happens is larger companies that ship truckloads of goods and have shipping contracts with ups or fedex are able to provide lower cost shipping. I mean, Petco delivers me two 30 pound bags of dogfood in a single box via UPS and ship to me for 'free'. The dog food cost me $98.00 if i ship it home or go pick it up in the store. My guess is woodpecker does not have a shipping contract and is just passing on the full cost of that shipping to the buyer.

So, as much as I love the entire woodpecker router table system (saw it at a a woodshow a few times), and have other woodpecker tools including a drill press table (purchased at a woodworking show), the cost of shipping kind of turned me off and I started to look at Jessem to replace my rockler table. I put my purchase on hold for a bit so I can get another tool I decided to buy first.

I put the Super Fence into the cart, entered my Oregon address and the UPS ground shipping came to $51. Seems a bit high, but UPS doesn't charge by weight alone, box size is often the dominant factor in shipping charges.

Woodpecker likely doesn't have the shipping volume to leverage low contract pricing.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

No opinion on any of this except to say that UPS and other similar shipping costs (as well as LTL) are NUTS right now. Our logistics guy has probably aged five years since the pandemic started, just trying to keep up with the weekly changes from the various shippers we use. I think the issue is that we are all accustomed to "Prime", which is actually not reflective of the true costs shippers pay. So, "Yes", the rates are bananas but unlikely it's not the vendor's fault or the vendor gouging anyone.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Petco delivers me two 30 pound bags of dogfood in a single box via UPS and ship to me for 'free'. The dog food cost me $98.00 if i ship it home or go pick it up in the store.
    I'm guessing that Petco would be more profitable if they closed all of their retail outlets and sold everything direct, at store pricing and with free shipping.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    No opinion on any of this except to say that UPS and other similar shipping costs (as well as LTL) are NUTS right now. Our logistics guy has probably aged five years since the pandemic started, just trying to keep up with the weekly changes from the various shippers we use. I think the issue is that we are all accustomed to "Prime", which is actually not reflective of the true costs shippers pay. So, "Yes", the rates are bananas but unlikely it's not the vendor's fault or the vendor gouging anyone.

Erik
    If I were a cynic I might suggest that those pandemic related shipping charges won't be heading lower after the pandemic is behind us.
    Scott Vroom

You'd love the fence...........have one on mine, along with their top, plate and Triton router. Their lift comes today, just need to find the router now (outta stock everywhere). Not surprised on their shipping costs. UPS and USPS are ridiculous now (assume FedEx is the same way).
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    I'm guessing that Petco would be more profitable if they closed all of their retail outlets and sold everything direct, at store pricing and with free shipping.
    Well, that would be chewy.com.....
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Well, that would be chewy.com.....
    No - not chewy.com, which is owned by PetSmart. I prefer to give Petco the business!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    No - not chewy.com, which is owned by PetSmart. I prefer to give Petco the business!!!
    Chewy is a publicly traded company listed on the New York Exchange - Ticker CHWY

https://www.google.com/search?client...&q=chewy+stock
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Chewy is a publicly traded company listed on the New York Exchange - Ticker CHWY

https://www.google.com/search?client...&q=chewy+stock
    Sorry for the hijack thread:

That is correct - they are public. PetSmart purchased an ownership share quantity to take control of Chewy back in 2017 (and the dog food I used at the timerefused to sell through PetSmart, pulled out of chewy, hence my purchases moved to Petco). I just double checked my info though and found that in late 2020, PetSmart split (or plans to split) from Chewy, and PetSmart's parent company, BC Partners will own both companies and they will be run independently from each other.

https://www.petfoodindustry.com/arti...mart?v=preview

In any event, back to the thread - A good way to get Woodpecker products without the super high shipping costs is to grab em when you are at woodworking show. That was my plan this winter, to get my new router setup during the NJ Woodworking show, however you all know what covid did to that plan. In researching though, I think the Jessem setup, along with the recommendation from folks here is a strong competitor. I didn't pull the trigger since another tool just moved up in priority but Jessem is now my top choice. Ironically, when I was about to buy the Woodpecker setup, what put me on hold was the shipping costs.