Thread: Flip-over Cabinets

Flip-over Cabinets

Hello,
    I have a lunchbox planer and small benchtop style spindle sander that I am contemplating building one of those flip-over cabinets for. Since I doubt the manufacturers of these tools considered that anyone might mount them upside down, is there any legitimate concern about doing so? The planer is a bigger concern to me than the small spindle sander.

Thanks and regards,

Joe H.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't think so, though any sanding dust or saw dust will end up falling out or into the upper portion when inverted. A good vacuum job might be a good first step before flipping.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Not an issue. I have a Dewalt 735 planer along with a 12" disc sander, and oscillating spindle sander on mine. Have had it for several years with heavy use with no problems.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Folks with smaller shops have been making flip-over, two-tool cabinets for decades with no issues. Just be sure to use a very secure method of fastening the tools to the flip-table and if necessary, do some weight balancing to make it easier to flip them around...you may need to add some weight to one side if a particular tool is a lot less heavy than the other. This is purely for convenience, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I once mounted a very old scroll saw on a flip-top cart. Old enough that it had an unsealed oil reservoir. That didn’t work out so well.

My lunchbox planer, spindle sander, and miter saw have done fine without any special precautions.

If you decide to build one, I highly recommend taking a look at the Fisher’s Shop version here, shared by Chris Schoenthal in a previous flip-top discussion.

Jay, could you please supply a link? I can’t see one and I’d be interested.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Aaron, the word "here " is the link.

The only issue that I've had with any tools on flip carts is my Ridgid oscillating spindle sander.
    The first time that I flipped it, all of the "accessories" fell out of their gravity held slots.
    I quickly built a drawer on that one to hold them when not in use.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Blog Entries
    Been flipping a DW735 and a spindle sander for years. The inserts and spindles set in a plastic shoe box on the bottom of the flip top cabinet along with spare blades and the wrench for the planer.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Fisher's Shop - Flip Station
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    I once mounted a very old scroll saw on a flip-top cart. Old enough that it had an unsealed oil reservoir. That didn’t work out so well.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm currently building a flip top cart that I will use with my Rigid planer and Dewalt 12" CSMS. It will have a shallow drawer for holding misc blades, tools and parts each machine uses.

I watched a bunch of videos, including Fisher's, and ended up incorporating a few tips and options from most of them. I decided to not incorporate power into the stand that Fisher's design includes. Mostly because I don't like running power through black pipe and T's, plus I intend to pull the saw off for field work in the summer months. I'm probably over doing it, as I usually do..... But I like to build my shop stuff to last.