Thread: Built a saw till

Built a saw till

Finished this up yesterday. Its square enough, a couple oops spots (had to relocate the right dowel) - but good enough for the shop. This might be the last time I buy the S4S pine at the Borg, its just not worth the price compared to getting a 2x12 of clear SYP (after 10 minutes of digging) and milling it. I did it it to speed up the build but its just impossible to find stuff without any twist.

Anyway, this is half of the saw and plane till by Mike Siemsen in PWW 226 with a couple modifications. Will be adding 4 drawers to the bottom area. I use a dutch tool chest, but since this is over my bench I'm probably going to move my marking and measuring stuff to the drawers.

I have a couple saws on order that will fill up the small side already, should have made it wider I guess.

IMG_5969.jpg

Nice looking saw till to house that nice collection of saws.

I agree with you regarding the BORG S4S stuff. I picked up some a while back because it was literally $5 per 10’ stick and I could not pass it up. I figured at that price I could cut enough small sections that I could make it worthwhile. I finally found a use for some of it as chest bottom.

Nice till! Ima gonna steal some ideas.

Blog Entries
    Bill, I think you have inspired a project for me to make with existing pieces of scrap in my shop.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Nice till for sure. Since I joined here it occured to me to check the price per board foot for home center pine. I don't know local prices for you, but when I go to my local hardwood purveyor with the price of home center pine firmly in mind, I come hom smiling with hardwood.

Nice till, Thomas. And yes, you may find no matter what size you build, it won’t be big enough eventually!

Blog Entries
    Bill, I told you that your till inspired me. I have a smaller collection of saw, so mine is not as large and as fancy as yours. All the pieces except the dowel are made from baltic birch style plywood from another project. The dowel is hand made with my spoke shave from a piece of 2 x 4.
    20210121_150754.jpg
    My three saws from left to right are, Crafstman crosscut, Disston Youth Cross cut, a Disston Cross cut, and a Disston rip saw. The two large Disston saws belonged to my grandfather who was a carpenter. Both have the H.Disston & Sons keystone medallion with Philada on the bottom of the medallion. Indicating they were made between 1896-1917.
    philadamed4a.jpg
    The Disston youth saw is mine from about 1955 according to my memory and the medallion.

I only made space for one additional saw, just in case.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-21-2021 at 4:06 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee,

A man of your word, indeed. That was quick build. I don’t think you left enough space in your till though. Craftsman and Disston saws tend to breed and produce Simonds offspring! Ask me how I know😏. How did you attach it to wall?

Afraid to look inside mine..
    Saw Til Project, door hanger.JPG
    Behind closed doors?
    Saw Til Project, door view.JPG
    Saw Til Door, door is open.JPG
    Tooth line is vertical....you have to raise a saw up, to release it...
    Before the stain went on...16 saws inside, 3 hanging on the inside of the door...
    Saw Til Door, another 2 saws.JPG
    Will keep most of them out of trouble....was getting tired of them collecting dust....close the door, keeps them clean...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 01-21-2021 at 8:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Best View Post
    . How did you attach it to wall?
    It is attached with two peg board hooks that I straighten slightly so the were at 90 degrees and inserted them into holes in the upper cross brace. It will let me easily relocate it should I want to.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!