Thread: Removing Stains From DP Chuck

Removing Stains From DP Chuck

I purchased a NOS DP chuck and it has staining (probably from rust) on an area. If it's easy to remove I would like to but I know sometimes you go down the rabbit hole on these things and make them worse.

Suggestions/comments welcome.

IMG_2128.jpg

evaporust or chuck it up and spin it with some fine emory paper?

Install it in your DP, turn on and hit it with a dark grey Scotch Brite pad (or equivalent). It should clean up nicely.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have a thick oil (MIL-L-46000B Lubricating Oil Semi-FLUID). It is made by Castrol INC.

I put on the oil then grab some find steel wool. I use it to clean-up rust and similar.

I assume that regular oil would work, but I have a bunch of the thick oil listed above so it is what I use.

That said, am I seeing rust or pitting from rust that has already been removed? I love Evapor Rust, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I have a thick oil (MIL-L-46000B Lubricating Oil Semi-FLUID). It is made by Castrol INC.

I put on the oil then grab some find steel wool. I use it to clean-up rust and similar.

I assume that regular oil would work, but I have a bunch of the thick oil listed above so it is what I use.

That said, am I seeing rust or pitting from rust that has already been removed? I love Evapor Rust, by the way.

That's my thinking too - they used Evaporust and the stains remain. Probably need to remove metal to eliminate the stains. BTW - this is an Albrecht keyless chuck that was highly recommended to me. I don't have my new DP yet so installed the chuck on my 3520B wood lathe and couldn't believe it, even after re-indexing it several times while measuring runout the needle did not even move on my dial indicator (my Penn State Ind keyless was about 0.0035" TIR)! (makes me feel good about my lathe too)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I purchased a NOS DP chuck and it has staining (probably from rust) on an area. If it's easy to remove I would like to but I know sometimes you go down the rabbit hole on these things and make them worse.
    It looks like patina. Why do you feel you have to remove it?