Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

18 Jan 2021

Greetings,
    Finally.....finally got the benches done and scheduled for delivery today (since I'm off work today and it's a holiday). I get to move on to other things now and not have to be concerned about generating more dust in my shop than necessary while finish cures. Here's the benches:
    alvin_bench1.jpg

alvin_bench2.jpg

I start oncall duty for the day job today but my hope and prayer is that it's a quiet day today. Oh, the benches are 6 ft long x 10.75" wide and the base is wider at the bottom than it is at the top for improved stability.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Looks really nice Dennis.
    1) Sold the dust collector, a Delta AP-400, because I'm getting a 2HP or better with cyclone and pleated filter.
    2) Started redesigning the shop/garage to make use of the tools and space in a more logical way.
    3) Finished a small project, a stand to hold the Ziplock boxes always cluttering the countertop. Wife likes me again.
    4) Started working on my new back gate; I'm going to do it by timber framing and pegs/wedges and LOTS of soak in treating chemicals.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

While my one neighbor is deciding what wood he wants on the face frames of the cabinets I'm building for him, I got a break from the project and started helping another neighbor build a cherry coffee table. We got the wood milled to size. Now I'm working on sliding dovetails for joining the legs to the apron.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

The benches turned out really great, Dennis!! Now you can move on to new fun in the shop!

Much of this past week was devoted to a mini refresh of our pantry, which is located in a long, skinny place under the loft/landing of our greatroom. It was created in 2003 when I gutted and renovated the kitchen but really had not been touched since. The work involved repainting the pantry cabinet to match the kitchen uppers, painting the walls and ceiling, installing new LED lights to replace the old halogen cans and moving the shelving to the same wall as the pantry cabinet for easier walk-through. This is something else to check off my list of things I want "made nice" in anticipation of a future downsize/move. Here are photos of the completed space...I apologize as I forgot to take "before" shots and the original photos from 2003 have disappeared.

IMG_8858.jpg IMG_8857.jpg IMG_8855.jpg IMG_8856.jpg IMG_8859.jpg

I did finally receive the inexpensive air quality tester thingie I ordered from halfway around the planet a month ago and "installed" it in the shop...which pretty much meant plugging it in. It will be interested to watch it when I'm using various tools, such as the CNC, as well as spraying finish.

I have a few little things I want to get back to working on this week if my mind allows.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Beautiful benches, Dennis! And the pantry looks great Jim. Did you spray the cabinets in place?

I finished the dry fit of both of my desks. Only issue was a couple of domino mortises I milled too shallow on one leg. Must have forgotten to reset the domino after milling the shallow mortises for the domino connectors I'm using for the modesty panel. But easily fixed. Finished making finish test boards and selected a winner that will let me skip the garnet shellac step I normally use for cherry. And I am delighted to report that I finished sanding all the bazillion pieces parts and they are ready for pre-finishing and finishing. Also got all the plywood panels sized, sanded, and ready for pre-finishing. Full speed ahead! (well, as full speed as I go these days )
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    I did some repair work on some reeeeeeeaaaallllyyy expensive chairs for a 163 foot mega-yacht. This set of 12 chairs cost them $72,000 (yes, seventy-two thousand USD) and came apart just weeks after they bought them. I was shocked to find poorly cut loose tenons glued with Gorilla Glue!!! Each chair had to be taken completely apart and reassembled, including relacing leather and retying the knots in the lacing with very little bitter end to tie with. I took the chairs completely apart and reassembled them with thickened epoxy. I cannot show pictures, but I was amazed at how poorly a $6,000 chair was put together.

I also dove a shipwreck and found a clay pipe from the early 1800’s. We also saw three Lionfish (invasive species- very bad for our reef) and killed them and fed them to sharks. Yes, we bleed them to attract sharks and feed them to the sharks. Yes, we do this underwater while we dive. No, it is not as dangerous as it sounds. They are such beautiful fish, but not native to the Caribbean, have no natural predators here, and are destroying reef life. They are suspected to have either come in the bilge/ballast water of ships, or were dumped from aquariums. I believe the ballast water theory myself.

I can show you my latest drawing that I worked on in what little down time I had. It is done with Prismacolor pencils. I’m thinking about drawing a Lionfish this week.

85563816-B458-46BD-A393-A84EA3EC9B8C.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Did you spray the cabinets in place?
    Nope...I have ProClassic tinted to the same BM color as the EM6500 that's on the kitchen cabinets.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Made some new stacking saw horses (2 of 4 pictured), to replace some really crappy ones I bought long ago.

C6E5521E-3740-44DF-A255-C8F187FD89D0.jpg
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Beautiful drawing, Malcolm. You are certainly multi talented.