Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drum Sander

Blog Entries
    I'm going to give a Hmmmmm response too. Delta? Brave man. Hope it works out well but, I will watch for future updates ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I went to a retirement yard sale a few years ago where the shop owner had a stroke sander for sale, but it was huge, it took up one whole room in his shop pretty much. It looked interesting for sure, but I didn't have the space or the power for a tool that size.

probably 3 Hp single or three phase. They do take room, never bothered me, basic machine like a jointer or planer. .

Quote Originally Posted by Robert London View Post
    Baileigh looks to make the same machine

https://www.baileigh.com/heavy-duty-drum-sander-sd-255

costs a bit more though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    costs a bit more though.
    Sometimes you can catch Baileigh with a 10-15% off sale. They are very expensive on shipping though. Every time I put something in my cart to check on shipping, it was between 350-450.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    would like to try a stroke sander sometime, always thought I would have plenty of use for one. Of course it is just one more tool that there is no room in the existing shop for
    Ron
    I've always felt that a stoke sander is the one thing that could be designed to fold up in a way to take up minimal room in a shop. Say have the belt rotate to the vertical position to reduce the width and have the feet adjustable so they can slide in to reduce the footprint when being stored.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert London View Post
    Sometimes you can catch Baileigh with a 10-15% off sale. They are very expensive on shipping though. Every time I put something in my cart to check on shipping, it was between 350-450.
    I bought the Delta Model. Still even cheaper without the 15%. Plus available now.

8. I recently bought the Delta from HD and am happy with it. I've only run shaker doors made of poplar through it and it levels them out nicely when taking a little off each pass. I wanted the Grizzly because of the 5hp motor compared to Deltas 3hp but the lead time was ridiculous (4 months). Make sure you have a dust collector connected to it. Hope this helps.

dont see a stroke sander folding up or the time to play around to make it full size even if it could be done. You walk up to a machine and use it. Cabinetmakerers bought combo machines for the affordability of all the functions in them, they were also space saving but space saving not the focus of the ones I knew. They bought stroke sanders to do the work.

They have smaller ones, Progress makes one, company called Doucette now, saw one for sale cheap recently. Dont see it as it has closed ends and Id be stuck in no time but depends on what you make.

Id only want a full size and open both ends. Likely 11-12 feet long on average.

Performax seems to be the brand I see most commonly in shops if they don’t happen to have a widebelt. Hope this helps the OP in his search.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stollewerk View Post
    I recently bought the Delta from HD and am happy with it. I've only run shaker doors made of poplar through it and it levels them out nicely when taking a little off each pass. I wanted the Grizzly because of the 5hp motor compared to Deltas 3hp but the lead time was ridiculous (4 months). Make sure you have a dust collector connected to it. Hope this helps.

Thanks, do have a dust collector. I did end up buying the sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Performax seems to be the brand I see most commonly in shops if they don’t happen to have a widebelt. Hope this helps the OP in his search.

Erik
    Thanks, I ended up purchasing the delta.

Picked up the sander tonight, get it home and unpack, and of course its damaged. Looks like someone pushed too hard with a forklift, and pushed the drive belt out of alignment by a inch or 2. bent all the connections, and all the tins around it.

HD will pick it up, and order me a new one. This time I guess I unpack at the store!

Look for a damaged sander on the surplus/return websites in about a month

When I picked up my Grizzly jointer the box looked perfect but upon opening it at home I could see that it had been punctured by a fork lift and they had placed the shipping label over the puncture.

Very minor damage to the base, so that was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    When I picked up my Grizzly jointer the box looked perfect but upon opening it at home I could see that it had been punctured by a fork lift and they had placed the shipping label over the puncture.

Very minor damage to the base, so that was good.
    I could live with cosmetic damage, but this was major damage to the drive belt assembly. 2500$ mistake for HD.