Thread: Fence upgrade - out of alignment - any for sale?

Fence upgrade - out of alignment - any for sale?

Hi all,

My old bessy fence doesn't seem to be true anymore.
    Boards are touching at one at but not the other. About 1/16th-1/8th inch off. The fence also has some blade marks on it from the guy I bought it off.
    I have seen some people screw mdf to the fence. Do you think that would solve the issue?
    The board I have against the fence is 4s that I confirmed with digital calipers and when I put my straight edge against the fence it is doing the same thing.

Attached are a few pictures of my fence, table, saw, and model.
    Any recommendations/opinions?
    Anyone have a good fence for sale that would be worth what you would sell it for with shipping?

These are the two I was considering:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/a...YaArSoEALw_wcB

https://www.toolbarn.com/delta-36-t3...8aAlnrEALw_wcB

Thanks all! Everyone in this group is super helpful!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I believe the sides of the fence are plywood, if that distorts a bit in the middle it could cause your problem. A quick Google search turned up the linked article on refacing. I'm sure there are more. https://www.popularwoodworking.com/w...-and-refacing/

Blog Entries
    Replace the faces. IMHO neither of the fences you linked are anywhere near a Biesemeyer Commercial Fence in build quality. The faces and pads are normal wear items. Granted the faces are not easy to replace. Most folks I've seen just rip them off and replace them with MDF or UHMW. Both of these materials can be easily shimmed true if somehow someone managed to damage the fence tube. I own a Saw Stop with a 'better than Bies' fence. I currently have no 240v so am using my old Hybrid that came with a Biesemeyer Commercial. Its like reuniting with an old friend; I love that fence and so may be prejudice.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It’s not that difficult to make a fence for the oneness you have. If you peel off the laminated surface you’ll find some screws under that hold the plywood to the metal. Take it all off and have a good look at the steel tube the plywood is attached. I remember the one I had all the places screws when into the steel tube were bulged out. After I filed them down the surface was very flat.
    If you can get the tube straightened out you can attach wood or Mdf whatever.
    Aj

Remove the old faces, and replace with new 1/2" BB ply, faced with Formica. You can also leave them plain. My shop built clone still lacks outer faces after only twenty two years of use. Nice thing about leaving Formica off outer face is attachment screws are accessible if you need to shim the face. Not only does new faces need to be shimmed along length, but also vertically to the table surface

Your wood "straightedge". appears to have a split in it so I assume it is not straight. Get something better to use as. a reference.
    Bill D

Are you saying the fence is skewed or warped?

That fence can be adjusted left or right at the cam connection.

Yeah, I am saying the fence is skewed or warped. It was not like this the first few years I had this fence. I havnt done much woodworking this last year and am getting back into it. I did not realize the fence could be adjusted. I will look into that.
    If I cannot get it adjusted I think I will give the fence a makeover instead of buying new based on everyone's opinion.

Bill, the wood is not split. That is actually a marker mark on it. I confirmed with my straightedge along the fence as well.

Thanks everyone for all the input, much appreciated!!

By skewed I mean that it is straight, but not parallel to the blade and miter slots. The adjustment is two screws where the fence clamps down onto the metal fence bar. Tighten one, it moves this way. Tighten the other, it moves the other way. It's very finely adjustable. It looks like you have the Biesemeyer fence instructions, or you could find them online.

By warped I mean that the fence itself is not straight. That seems unlikely since it's built on a metal channel.

Nick glad to hear it was my eyes that were bad. I just did not want you solving a problem that did not exist. Sounds like you have some other good reference edges to compare together. Good luck tweaking it back into shape.
    Bil lD