Thread: First Chisels of 2021

First Chisels of 2021

First set of Dovey chisels for 2021. The largest set to date. 1/8" thru 1". Desert Ironwood handles, high carbon steel blades.

Ron

Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Really nice chisels. Let us know how they work.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Ron,

A lot to like from the photo. Firmer and tanged, not sure about the Ironwood but I expect it will stand up to the hammer.

ken

Blog Entries
    Nice looking set but not really my style. Just got a thing for socket chisels.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries

Always a pleasure to see your work Ron.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Ken if you look close these have a 20 degree bevel on the sides and are made specifically for dovetailing. Their shorter length makes it easier to have the knife line and mallet striking point in one line of sight. The 20 degree bevel is why it was difficult initially to make the 1/8" size. After you bevel one side there is just not much surface left for holding.

Ron

Ron, I didnt see these chisels on your website. Looks like the last update on the site was October. Will you be posting these soon?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Brese View Post
    Ken if you look close these have a 20 degree bevel on the sides and are made specifically for dovetailing. Their shorter length makes it easier to have the knife line and mallet striking point in one line of sight. The 20 degree bevel is why it was difficult initially to make the 1/8" size. After you bevel one side there is just not much surface left for holding.

Ron
    Ron,

Now that you pointed it out I can see the bevel, makes them more interesting . Does the Ironwood come close to Hornbeam in standing up to a metal hammer?

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Nice looking set but not really my style. Just got a thing for socket chisels.

jtk
    Jim,

Tang v. socket is almost like tails first v. pins. Funny in a way. When I was growing up in West Texas it was Ford v. Chevy and once you picked a side it was forever.

ken

Frederick unfortunately these are already sold so they won't be added to the "Tools Available Page"

Ron

Desert Ironwood, (Olneya?) from the Sonoran desert. Hard and dense, a boutique wood for sure. Should be a good choice. How does it work?

Beautiful as usual. I am really liking my set of curly maple detail chisels. I was just using my 3/16" last night on a saw handle. Great for those up close and personal task. One of my better purchases, indeed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Jim,

Tang v. socket is almost like tails first v. pins. Funny in a way. When I was growing up in West Texas it was Ford v. Chevy and once you picked a side it was forever.

ken
    The disagreement is understandable. When ever there is a choice, some will pick one and some will pick the other. Then there are the arguments to justify the choices. For me it is easier to make a handle for a socket chisel than for a tanged chisel.

Though most of my carving tools use a tang instead of a socket.

All of my user socket chisels have good handles. Only a few of my tanged chisels have had broken handles replaced. Those are all mortise chisels.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)