Thread: Tormek and "Unicorn" Profile

Tormek and "Unicorn" Profile

I've been playing with the Tormek (250 stone wheel) and the leather buffing wheel to see if it would make a "unicorn" profile. While not as quick as a grinder and cotton buffing wheel it is quick enough and I seem to get better results. As always YMMV,

ken

2. I don’t understand the difference with the standard tormek instructions which are basically « grind to a consistent burr on the stone wheel then chase the burr on the oiled and charged leather wheel". The oiled leather being softer than, say, a piece of mdf, it tends to « round » the edge, to a bit higher angle, a lot shinier and a bit stronger edge.

The « unicorn », iirc, just uses a 1000 grit stone for sharpening and a charged cotton wheel, producing an tiny high angle bevel. It takes some practice to get reproducible good results but it’s fast and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Andrieux View Post
    I don’t understand the difference with the standard tormek instructions which are basically « grind to a consistent burr on the stone wheel then chase the burr on the oiled and charged leather wheel". The oiled leather being softer than, say, a piece of mdf, it tends to « round » the edge, to a bit higher angle, a lot shinier and a bit stronger edge.

The « unicorn », iirc, just uses a 1000 grit stone for sharpening and a charged cotton wheel, producing an tiny high angle bevel. It takes some practice to get reproducible good results but it’s fast and cheap.
    Jerome,

You are correct about the Tormek instructions but have you ever met a man that read or followed instructions . BTW, I was watching a Tormek video when I thought "that's a "unicorn" edge, I need to give it a go".

ken