Thread: Early post to the thread, what did you last week

Early post to the thread, what did you last week

Bought a house Friday that came with with a 40X40 hanger to become the shop or what we call a shanger. Doing some remodeling on the house before I can work on the shop.

First piece of equipment, the Kubota. Been in the family since 1980's. I've been cutting grass with it at my house for 20+ years.

The bifold door (Holden) has some gaps at the hinge and along the bottom. Thinking a roll of strip magnets glued to Styrofoam board may seal it some at the hinge. I may contact Holden about the door to floor seal. The HVAC doesn't work.

The sky lights are great for illumination, but the condensation is going to be an issue. To begin with I'll spot the machines between the skylights. Daughter and husband plan to build next to us in a couple of years. In the meantime we unloaded his pool table in the hanger for temporary storage. Waiting on the balls, cues and chalk to make sure it is safely stored.

Wow! Congratulations and it's nice that you got a house with that shop purchase, too. Seriously, I'm truly jealous. It's likely that Professor Dr. SWMBO and I will be "downsizing" in the next year or so and I can only hope to find a property that has even half that nice shop you just acquired.

BTW, conditioning the space should help relative to condensation on those roof windows.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. This is a smaller house than we had in NC by a couple hundred sq. ft.

Got to fix some air leaks. There is a ceiling HVAC unit hanging with a line set. The compressor, etc. has long since been gone. Budget is tight as we remodel the house.
    Last edited by Eugene Dixon; 01-17-2021 at 12:29 PM.

The budget is always a pesky nuisance. When you do get to conditioning the space, the Minisplit route may be the way to go because a multi-head unit can distribute in the big space better and they are uber-efficient, particularly for cooling/dehumidification. But that's down the road. Get your house setup 'cause you got to live. I'm actually working on a plan that will hopefully allow for a purchase before we sell current so I can do any necessary work, then move, then sell. But who knows how that will work out!

I'm really looking forward to what you do with that wonderful shop space!
    --

Blog Entries
    Upflow ceiling fans strategically placed, will help keep condensation off the skylights.

Jealous of all that fun/shop space. Getting some air moving should help with the condensation, especially in the summer months. I can see my humidifier gauge go down after turning on the window A/C.

I did look at an online mini-split sizing calculator to get an idea of what a mini-spit would be sized and cost. The answer, "Call a professional."

HHHmmmmm! and some characters to meet the minimum

Thanks Mike. May try to move some tools from storage to the shanger this weekend. I regret we never got together while we were 'neighbors'. I lived across from S&S in the Emerald Chase subdivision off Pocosin.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    I did look at an online mini-split sizing calculator to get an idea of what a mini-spit would be sized and cost. The answer, "Call a professional."
    You have a very unique space so I'm not surprised at that recommendation.
    --