Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dovetailing for Blood!

Too true, Jim. By comparison, the red frame looks inviting! It took the stratospheric Blue Spruce price to nudge me off the fence. It always goes that way: I hem and haw and then buy the shiny object (from Knew Concepts). Will it make me a better dovetailer? No. It will just give me one more brush with luxury in my already pampered workshop.

Now for the irony. My musing about the 3" saw drew a mild thumbs up from Derek ("you can easily get away with" it). So what did I do? I bought the 5" Mk.IV. For $9 more I supposed it might be more versatile for tasks other that dovetail waste.

So then I checked out the "Which saw is right for you?" hierarchy (after completing the order of course), and for dovetail waste the 3" comes up. It might well turn out that the smaller moment arm would be easier to move through the turns. The 5" is 2 oz heavier, but if I do ever want to cut into a board, I guess the 5" will get me a little further in.

I'm waiting to see if the blade really deflects less than the one on my coping saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Have you considered sawing two or more sides at a time in the Moxon? Seems that would save time. In my case it might make a square cut more likely.
    I have done this in the past, but then I have to take a lot of time and effort to make sure that things are perfectly aligned. Things like extra clamping to hold the alignment. And if the heights are not right on, then I will have slightly different depths of cut.

I was able to make it work, but never felt that I had saved that much time with the extra clamping and it made cutting out the waste more difficult (for me) unless I separated the boards, which then added more time. I have a tendency to cut lower on the back side without a lot of care.

Blog Entries
    It took the stratospheric Blue Spruce price to nudge me off the fence. It always goes that way: I hem and haw and then buy the shiny object (from Knew Concepts).
    My wife used to wince when a chisel was purchased if the price was more than $10 or $15. Thanks to Lie-Nielsen for mailing me a catalog with shiny new chisels on display. This was years ago so the prices were a bit lower. While drooling over the pages she was shown the page with chisels. She hasn't questioned my tool buying since.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Have you considered sawing two or more sides at a time in the Moxon? Seems that would save time. In my case it might make a square cut more likely.
    I have done this in the past, but then I have to take a lot of time and effort to make sure that things are perfectly aligned. Things like extra clamping to hold the alignment. And if the heights are not right on, then I will have slightly different depths of cut.
    When doing a write up of my current project my use of a shooting board to remedy this problem will be given more coverage.

As my fret sawing has gotten more reliable gang cutting the waste has also become possible. Though it might not be a practical time saver wit tiny pin sockets like Derek uses.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My wife used to wince when a chisel was purchased if the price was more than $10 or $15. Thanks to Lie-Nielsen for mailing me a catalog with shiny new chisels on display. This was years ago so the prices were a bit lower. While drooling over the pages she was shown the page with chisels. She hasn't questioned my tool buying since.

jtk
    Yes, and it’s doubly true of power tools. Everything’s 2x what I paid. I dread one of the machines ever failing on me.

Great thread.

when you made the story stick for the tails, did you cut through the story stick, or just use the lines marked on the end to mark the tails on the drawer sides?

I couldn’t tell from the photos.

Todd, the lines were scored with a knife. These fine kerfs guided a knife when copying them on the tail board. Sawing the marks instead sounds a good idea at first, but the kerf would then be much wider, and make it harder to copy accurately.

Regards from Perth

Derek