Thread: Newbie Blast gate Question

Newbie Blast gate Question

I’ve used the search function here as well as Google but can’t seem to find the answer I’m looking for. I just bought a new Supercell DC and I noticed that the blast gate on the system does not open all the way. What I mean by that is, even in a fully open position, there is still a portion of the “gate” that protrudes into the opening this not actually allowing the full, 4” in this case, opening to be used. Does anyone make a blast gate that allows full use of the ID of the pipe? The only ones I see that look like they may are the “self cleaning” ones that actually protrude out the top when fully closed. I thought about using those to get the benefits of both a full, unobstructed ID and the self cleaning but I saw some You Tube videos where the part that protrudes when fully closed vibrates real bad and the noise is terrible.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

I use these https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-7013...1607618&sr=8-2 which are the type you are describing I believe. I have 6" PVC main ducts and 4" branches. Some of them do tend to vibrate on occasion, depending on which gates in my system are open. What I've noticed is that it tends to be the ones that don't have good support of the ducting nearby the blast gate. The only time I really notice the noise is when I've shut off the collector but it's still spinning down and I've take my hearing protection off already.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    I’m with Paul. I don’t care too much about blast gat rattling since I wear ear protection most of the time. I use the aluminum ones from woodcraft.

I only have three complaints against my blast gates.
    1. The tubes that the flex hose goes over could be an inch longer. From time to time a gate works loose. It’s not a big deal.
    2. The gate is very loose. I have to use the screw to hold it in place. Again, not a big deal. Some kind of spring and ball to add just a bit of drag would be just dandy.
    3. It would be nice to have some way to attach directly to the thin wall pvc that I use. I see on Amazon that there is a gate made to do just that but it’s kind of expensive.

Blog Entries
    I got my aluminum & steel blast gates from Lee Valley and have no complaints at all with them. Well, that's not entirely true. When closed, the gates issue a hissing noise from the tiny bit of air that leaks past. The collector is in another room, so it doesn't make enough noise to mask the hissing. If I have a couple of big gates open there is no hiss from the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I got my aluminum & steel blast gates from Lee Valley and have no complaints at all with them. Well, that's not entirely true. When closed, the gates issue a hissing noise from the tiny bit of air that leaks past. The collector is in another room, so it doesn't make enough noise to mask the hissing. If I have a couple of big gates open there is no hiss from the others.
    The hiss is there to let you know you actually remembered to close the other blast gates

If the gate protrudes down a quarter of an inch or so it isn't a big deal for air flow, more than about 3/4" or 1" I would worry about.

A large percentage of the gates on the market do not fully open because of the detent in the gate to keep you from pulling it all the way through. Not too much is usually there, but it depends upon the design. Getting a fully open sliding blas gate requires a bit more material and space to accomplish if you think about it. There are some shop built designs that accomplish it, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. The self cleaning gates linked in the 2nd post are my preferred style but, I have both. You can also easily make your own.

BG-No-Shop (11).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks everyone for your input.