Thread: Dust collection in small shop - Pegboard and preventing dust from collecting behind

Dust collection in small shop - Pegboard and preventing dust from collecting behind

I have a small basement shop and I am looking at organization and dust collection.

There are interior basement walls that are finished on one side - to the main basement area. The other side is not finished and has exposed wiring - this is the side that faces my shop. Our area does not require a conduit for this wiring.
    I want to refresh the organization of items on the wall - at least hooks but maybe pegboard for more flexibility. First thing is I need to protect the wiring. For organization, I was thinking of installing pegboard on the unfinished side. I could install drywall first and then pegboard over it. I just use pegboard only and that would be the easiest. But dust will get behind it and in the walls.

I curious if anyone has run into this and how they dealt with it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My last shop was in the basement. I put OSB (slick side out towards shop) over the studs. Then you can attach things directly to the wall. Also you can paint the OSB if you want.

For pegboard panels, I make a frame around them that holds them off the wall so you can get the hooks in.

I haven’t been using pegboard much in my current shop. I have used plywood screwed to the wall over the drywall then attach holders/tools directly to the plywood. Pegboard holders seem come loose unless to get the more expensive hooks.

Unless the house is newer and designed for a future living space the basement walls need to be left as is or plywood/OSB in random areas. No drywall, mold will grow behind it. I have block walls, above ground basement. There are no walls near the area I work the most so I have all the small hand tools and supplies on low cabinets, small table and trays that can be moved if cutting a whole sheet on the TS.

If you want to use pegboard, just leave an inch or so gap at the bottom. If the dust ever builds up to the point where it's a problem or bothers you, just walk along with your shop vac and clean it out. Some dust behind the pegboard isn't going to hurt anything.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I think pegboard without drywall would do the trick. I've got a couple sheets of pegboard up, been there for 40 years and I've yet to worry about dust behind it. I do however like Paul's idea of leaving a few inches open at the bottom. The only pegs that work for me are the long ones, all the little ones fall off every time you lift the tool that's hanging on them. Went to the plastic Talon pegs from Lee Valley, they stay put but the plastic is thicker as you get closer to the wall so many things wont's hang. serves it's purpose, just kind of a pain.

Blog Entries
    I have had pegboard on my shop walls to 40+ years. I have not encountered any sawdust behind the pegboard when I have taken some of it down to do some work. I think the only reason saw dust would go through the holes would be if there was forced air flow.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for feedback...pegboard with a hole on the bottom sounds an option.