Thread: Help Identifying this Saw

Help Identifying this Saw

Hey all.

I got this saw for free (it was very rusted and a complete mess, so I restored it) - I was wondering if anyone can identify the maker or anything (age, etc) about it from the photo.

The medallion is a superior/warranty one, and from what I read, these are usually major brands' cheaper offshoots.

Any info on it would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The blade shape and the general profile of the handle look like a Disston D8. It's probably one that was made for a major retailer under their brand name.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lambert View Post
    The blade shape and the general profile of the handle look like a Disston D8. It's probably one that was made for a major retailer under their brand name.
    Excellent, thank you. The only marking I could find on the entire saw is the number "8", which is located right under the handle. I was wondering what the 8 was there for, but you likely nailed it.

What era do you think it's from (I was thinking 50s based on the look), and what do you think the value is?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Serna View Post
    Excellent, thank you. The only marking I could find on the entire saw is the number "8", which is located right under the handle. I was wondering what the 8 was there for, but you likely nailed it.

What era do you think it's from (I was thinking 50s based on the look), and what do you think the value is?
    The number 8 is the number of teeth per inch it was filed to originally. Warranted Superior is a Disston trademark. This site should help you identify the details of the saw:
    http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/medv2.html

Blog Entries
    Howdy John and welcome to the Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    The number 8 is the number of teeth per inch it was filed to originally. Warranted Superior is a Disston trademark. This site should help you identify the details of the saw:
    Searching > Warranted < on the link Malcom provided found this:

Warran and Ted Superior were not brothers in the saw manufacturing business.

Warranted Superior medallions are found on secondary lines manufactured by Disston and other major saw makers with other brand names on the etch. Some smaller 19th century saw makers may have bought sawnuts and medallions from the bigger factories.

After 1900 or so the "small guys" were actually secondary lines of the "big guys." The small companies were bought up by bigger ones and some of their products were continued for a time. Harvey Peace is one example. Most American saws from the 20th century, regardless of brand name, were made in the works of Disston, Atkins, Bishop, or Simonds.

In the case of Disston, their replacement medallions were stamped Warranted Superior rather than "Disston." I would speculate their rationale was they didn't want their name on lesser-quality saws. Brand loyalty in the U.S. was much stronger in the first half of the 20th century than it is today.
    After you have a few more saws you will find it doesn't matter so much who made the saw as how well it does its job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Very helpful. Thank you!

Saw nut with "Warranted Superior" on it is an ideal practice saw. Practice restoring. Practice sharpening. Not a valuable antique you might destroy by accident or n00bness, but probably a great user once you have it tuned up. If you find one with a straight blade and a cracked handle, feel free to drill perpendicular to the cracks, glue in some dowel. Smooth it off, sharpen, and have a better user than money can buy new today. Maybe some fresh shellac on the handle. You will have done your bit to keep good saws available for future generations.

Once you have game, you are ready for nuts marked "Disston and Sons" and everyone else. When you pick up one that seems unfamiliar or old, or one with split nuts, or one with what seems like a bunch of bolts holding the handle to the plate, Disston and singluar "Son" or just "Disston" poke around a little bit to check on value before you go bananas.

I do seem to have a breeding pair of 8 point crosscut saws in my till, they are like coat hangers. I have about 5 primary users that I tighten the fasteners on during dry season and then loosen every spring. Most of the saws in my till I only tighten up during the wet season so the grain in the handle doesn't get crushed by coming into wet season tight and dry.

Thanks! That's why I grabbed it - to practice everything. In the fourth post of the thread you can see the before and after. I'm happy with how it turned out. I used Danish oil and shellac on the handle, which was in great shape other than old finish and grime.

It's now a great saw. Blade is dead straight, etc. I'll keep an eye out for others.

Blog Entries
    Hi John,

If I had to guess I would say that is "Indianapolis Saw Works" brand, secondary line manufactured by Atkins. No guaranteed – just my guess. The "Warranted Superior" label on the medallion was commonly used by many golden era saw manufacturers for saws they made as house brands for hardware store chains and their secondary product lines.

Cheers, Mike