Thread: Harvey g700 vs something else

Harvey g700 vs something else

So in my hobby shop I have an older griz 1029 2hp dust collector. All 4” duct system. Only one machine at a time. Biggest is 20” planer and also longest draw (about 45 ft). Works good, no clogs no real issues. I know it misses the fine dust and without a decent separator changing the bag is a pain. I want to upgrade and relocate everything when I set up in my new shop building in a few months. I was looking at the Harvey g700 mainly because of 5he low noise claims but wonde4 how it will do wi5h 5he 20” planer and 6” ducts Any thoughts or is there a quite cyclone
    thanks
    gary

Hi Gary,
    Happy New Shop Year!!
    I have a 2hp Grizz cyclone in an attached shed that has worked very well for my needs--20", planer 12" jounter, 25" drum sander, spindle and edge sanders etc.--. The sequestered DC is a huge benefit--noise abatement, not so worried about "tidiness" if (when) I forget to check barrel overfill, and I mounted the unit on the wall so I can roll under a 55 gal drum for larger volume and ease of emptying. I welded axels and used old lawnmower wheels for mobility. My shop is 960 sq. ft. and longest run is ~35 ft. DC vintage is pre HEPA and sometimes I detach the dust bad when milling lots of stock--untidy but not a worry. I would likely get a 3 hp unit now but the 2 hp CFM has done the job well so no real comparison. The Harvey DC looks like amazing technology and important limitations for me would be chip volume and cost. I have the Ecogate Autogate system and I would suggest designing a DC "room", getting a conventional cyclone and spend the surplus $$$$ on an automated gate system. It is a real pleasure to move machine to machine and not have to fiddle with gates. Congrats on the new shop.