Thread: workshop stool

workshop stool

Due to back issues I need to sit at my workbench, I've been looking at seating options and found something called a saddle stool. They look like a possible solution, they roll, are height adjustable and look to be stable.The question is are they comfy?
    Does anyone here have experience with them?

51xkwbsKUGL._AC_AA180_.jpg

Hello Bill,
    I’m very familiar with a saddle stool made by Lifeform Chairs in Canada. I find them very comfortable.

Just beware that those small casters will jam on power cords, seams in the floor, chips and pretty much anything.

You will want some kind of chair pad under that. You might also check if one of your local hospitals has surpus sales occasionally. There is a similar special chair, an anesthesiology chair, used by anesthesiologists when they are sitting at the head of the operating table for hour after hour, they show up every once in a while.

On those chairs they have to spin back and forth between the gas machine and the airway over and over and over, the armrest is just long enough to support the back and the elbows, with lots of room for the forearms to be free to move.

Quote Originally Posted by bill godber View Post
    Due to back issues I need to sit at my workbench, I've been looking at seating options and found something called a saddle stool. They look like a possible solution, they roll, are height adjustable and look to be stable.The question is are they comfy?
    Does anyone here have experience with them?

51xkwbsKUGL._AC_AA180_.jpg
    Bill, why not make your own? It would bring a smile to your face every time you used it

Here's one I made, copying the general idea and comments from Peter Galbert ...

That's it on the left of this picture ...

I'm a real beginner with staked stools and chairs, so if I can get it right ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks everyone for the replies, I've ordered one that has large casters, a comfy looking seat and will adjust from 23 1/2 to 31 1/2" high. The wheels are a must, I'm hoping I can get relief from the back pain by putting most of my weight on the seat while keeping my feet on the floor for bracing and moving around.The range of height adj should make it good for the bench and most of my power tools. If it doesn't work out I'll take advantage of amazon's liberal return policy.

I have a fixed height stool in my shop that isn't comfortable to sit at - until I put one foot on the shelf of my workbench and then lever my knee under the bench top, clamping myself to the workbench in the process.

Good luck and best wishes.

Bill, I was hoping to post before you bought the stool. I have a really bad back, and i could never sit in a stool like that. It looks like a bicycle seat and if it is then it would make my sacrum very unstable, and then the rest of my spine would not like that.
    But everyones is different, maybe you will be ok with it.

My Wife uses that exact one at her dog grooming table. I can use it, but it's not that comfortable for me, being a male. Those skate wheel casters are Much better for a stool than the plastic wheeled enclosed one. The last one she had used the old style casters, and we'll never buy anything with those again.

edited to add: I bought this one for the mechanic shop, and like it okay. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-19-2021 at 10:52 AM.

Sometime used office furniture places have good chairs. I've got one that has a lot of adjustments, the kind you see in old
    movies. One foot push-off, and and just a few seconds later I'm on the other side of the garage!