Thread: very old Leigh vs. new Leigh jig

very old Leigh vs. new Leigh jig

I have a near 40 year old Leigh TD 514-L dovetail jig and it has worked ok for me last 40 years, I don't use it often maybe once or twice a year for a project and put it away. It can only do through dovetails and it uses paper shims to adjust everything. Also some of the fingers have been hit by router bits over the decades, only a few and a little bondo fixes the issue.

I have a project coming up that will require 22 drawers, some made with 1/2 sides, some with 3/4 sides due to the weight those will carry, so I will have to play with the shims quite a bit. I don't want to make them all with 3/4 as some of the drawers will be quite narrow. My dovetail bit is pretty dull and I will have to get a new one, so since I have to spend some money anyway, I am wondering about the DR4 Pro and if its worth getting. I know I have not used my existing jig very much last few years, but I really believe part of that is the shim system and if it was not for that I would have used it more. I have been slapping drawers together with my Domino quite a bit and also box joints and that has worked, but sometimes, you just need dovetails

I am also thinking of a router miter lock bit as that seems even quicker than dovetails. The new jig can also do half-blind dovetails which would be cool but primarily interested in through dovetails. This particular project will need strength more than cosmetic, so I will box joint it or try the router miter lock, but if I had a easy way to make the dovetails I would prefer it. Very long story short...is the DR4 Pro worth upgrading to in your opinion or stick with what I have and figure another way to do what I need. The paper shims SUCK

I also have a very old Leigh jig; may even be that exact one. Like you, I used it very little as it was such a pain to set up and every time I went to use it I had to learn how all over again.

A while ago I bought the Leigh rtj 400 jig designed for use with the router table. It's chief limit is that all the joints it can do are fixed spacing (although two spacing options are provided with the optional add on bit set). It does through and half blind DTs and finger joints, and some other less common varieties.

It is like night and day in terms of ease of use and setup. The instruction manual is so well written my first dovetails were spot on perfect. There are quick reference cards that attach right to the jig so every time I go to use it I can jump right in. The variable guide bushing makes it a joy to set joint tightness.

The D4R is a much more versatile jig with fewer limitations. But if Leigh has done as good a job making it easy to set up and use with it as they did with the RTJ, then I believe you will also find it night and day. All of their manuals and video are available on their site, so check them out.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I have a D3 Leigh and have no idea of why or how you use paper shims. The DR4 I have looked at and someday would like to have it as there are a few improvements in it.
    I bought my D3 used and have had very good luck cutting thru dovetails with it in cherry 7/8 thick 4" to 24" wide. Follow instructions easy to use and adjust for fit as you like it.
    Use two PC 690 routers and have the vacuum attachment. I have not tried half blind dovetails yet and may never.
    Ron

Blog Entries
    I've never used the old Leigh dovetail jig that you have so I can't compare or comment about that.

I do have a D4R 24" that I bought used and I've upgraded it to be equivalent to the D4R Pro. I also bought the vacuum attachment (VRS) which really should be included with the jig (it works great and provides needed stability for the router).

I've only used it a couple of times. But once I figured out how to use it I was able to go fairly quickly with it. Granted there's nothing quick about anything I do in the shop. It does sound like the D4R is much easier to use than the old jig you have based on your description.

because paper and super thin cardboard is how you shimmed the original jib for dovetail fit. As per the original manual, this is the original Leigh jib, their first commercial jig

I too use my jig infrequently, however when I do use it, I want it to work. I had the old jig, but never could get the joints to come out the way I wanted. This past year I broke down and purchased the D4R Pro and have been very pleased with it's improvements. I've used it for both dovetail and box joints, with very good success. The did have to practice with the jig and I made a couple of minor adjustments to it to achieve my desired results.
    I feel it was worth the $. When I do need to use it, I want a jig that will work and this one does.

thanks everyone, I have made the decision to try the dr4 pro and see how it works, Derek above convinced me.

A couple of pics to whet your appetite...Dovetails.jpegBox Joint.jpeg

The Leigh D4R dovetail jigs are made using modern CNC tools and the board stops are now machined into the frame of the D4R, removing many of the variables that were experienced with earlier versions of their Dovetail Jigs. Older jigs had bolt-on stops that would frequently get out of position. Precision id built-in on the D4R.

Charley

Oh...let me add...the Router Support and Vac is a huge help in keeping your router completely level and controlling dust. Properly adjusted, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Oh...let me add...the Router Support and Vac is a huge help in keeping your router completely level and controlling dust. Properly adjusted, it works.
    Agree 100%

Ron