Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Stanly Made in USA Bench Planes is there something wrong with these Type 20

Blog Entries
    Tom Bussey's plane hasn't sold of yet.

It is listed a #4 in the subject line but is a #5.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The truth is that quality is where you find it. Check the plane before you buy it. Check the sole with a straight edge and a good square. Doing this, you will reject a lot of "Collector" gems, because they're out of whack for actual using.

The most square and true Stanley plane I own is a 1970's blue painted Stanley Handyman #4 I found hanging on a hook in Dad's garage. I found it with the original machining on the iron... Looked like it had never even been used. The downside is the adjustment mechanism. It's kinda stiff....

The worst, most out of true plane I own is an early 1930's Stanley #5. My measurements indicated that something probably shifted during casting, as the "inside" was out of square to the outside, and both sides leaned out.... I ended up replacing the sole, because it was beyond help. Now, I use it.

Honestly, for using old planes, I like Millers Falls planes better than Stanley, but they're not common in this area. The same caveat applies... Check before you buy.

Blog Entries
    Black automotive paint is good for restoring rust bucket planes.

I have an old Stanley that was rusty. I had it sand blasted. I primed it and pained with black automotive paint.