Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Shop instulation question.

I think you have to pay extra for them to add the fire retarder. I would think it has to be all the foam not just the top layer?
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I think you have to pay extra for them to add the fire retarder. I would think it has to be all the foam not just the top layer?
    Bill D
    There was no discussion about that when our addition was done in 2008...it had to be fire retardant because it would be exposed in the attic and the crawl space...the whole structure was done with the same material. There is no real "top layer", per se...filling out a "bay" is done fast enough that it's all "one piece of foam". I guess adding more as a retrofit would create multiple "layers", however, because of time passing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

AFAIK rockwool is the only non flammable product that needs no additive to make it flame safe. As a teen i repacked a minibike muffler with fiberglass and watched the yellow glue burn off. Then watched threads of pure white glass float into the air.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    AFAIK rockwool is the only non flammable product that needs no additive to make it flame safe. As a teen i repacked a minibike muffler with fiberglass and watched the yellow glue burn off. Then watched threads of pure white glass float into the air.
    Bil lD
    Fiberglass doesn't burn. If the temperature is high enough it will melt. Generally about 1000 degrees. That's the melting point of the resin binding it together. If it's melting that's the least of your worries. You have a major fire happening. It won't contribute to the fire. Your small engine exhaust gases exceeded 1000 degrees which isn't unusual.