Thread: Makita LTX knockoff Batteries

Makita LTX knockoff Batteries

I have an older Makita set with drill and impact driver. I use them for everything under the sun. One battery batter recently gave the flashing red green signal when I put it on the charger. Both batteries have seen pretty equal use since, when using one tool, I cycle them rather than keep charging the same one. Both tools are still in perfect condition. Makita discontinued the 3ah batteries. They make higher amp ones, but say they only work if your tool has a star on it. I'm not one to throw out two perfectly good tools.
    Has anyone used knock offs for the older Makita tools with success? Are they even still available?

They're still available Tony I bought some last month from a local lumber yard.

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/BL1830B-2

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-BL1830.../dp/B01M2VEHDL
    WoodsShop

I bought a couple of the aftermarket batteries to try. The first time the first one needed charging, I was lucky that I was still in that shop when I smelled something getting hot. My nose took me quickly to that battery in the charger. I grabbed a welding glove, and tossed it out in the field. I contacted the seller, and he did give me a refund. Sometime later, after a few charges, the other one started giving the red, and green flashing lights sign. I tossed that one in the battery recycle bin the next time I went to Lowes.

That's my only experience with them, and will be.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-15-2021 at 7:14 PM.

They are only compatible with the newer, old, star tools. But it would be worth checking to see if the local place has any "new" old stock

Warm the battery up, and try charging it again.

Will try. I was also wondering if it would be possible to use a lower voltage charger to get it part way up there. I know it's not a great idea to mess with lithium batteries. I wish you could just buy the cell pack as a unit and pop it in the case and go.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wood View Post
    They're still available Tony I bought some last month from a local lumber yard.

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/BL1830B-2

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-BL1830.../dp/B01M2VEHDL
    Tony, I’m in exactly the same boat, we probably have the same tool set. With respects to Joe, I’d suggest that you be a little careful about the BL1830B batteries, I’m not sure that those are not the newer technology which doesn’t play with out vintage tools. I’ve also been looking, I’ll check further on the “B” version batteries.

Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

I've had bad luck with a couple different knock offs we've tried over the years. Is there a reason you need the 3ah?

I bought a knockoff set from Batteries Up.
    When my OEM replacements quit, constant cycling and "memory" issues after 2 years.

The cheapos are 18 months old, now.

They work just fine. $25 for each. Compare to $75 for the branded version, retail.

https://www.batteriesup.com/

Around a year ago my Makita drill had problems with it's clutch. Along with that the batteries were not holding a charge. For me it was less expensive to purchase a new drill - driver combo kit (it came with 4 batteries (5ah)). The batteries looked like the would fit my old Makita Sawzall and Circular Saw however they would not slide on all the way. I called up Makita and they said the new batteries checked the temperature of the tool. After checking the old and new batterie with a VOM and seeing the voltage came out on the same contacts I filed off the tabs on my old tools that were preventing the new batteries from sliding on all the way. Everything has worked fine.

just went through this with the same with my LTX. Friend sent me replacement battery sites and said best bet. I thought about it a bit and went and bought Milwaukee. First reason was when the second battery pooped out I went on the blue website and could not find a contact email address. I called during the week and said whats the deal with no contact info on the website. Was told there is one, the salesperson looked and saw there wasnt one.

The Milwaukee is the same old Generation as the LTX stuff. The drill driver sounds like a loose bucket of bolts when you let off on the trigger and ive had stuff fall out of the chuck several times which never happened with the Makita stuff. Its like when the brake hits it loosens the chuck. Otherwise its fine and its nice to have a whole gaggle of batteries that work and are the same brand. No issues with the Makita but after the second battery went and left me with no usable tools it was time for a choice.

I have four bought off Amazon for my older Makita gear, 2 12V and 2 14.4V. All have been problem free going on four years with regular use. I do not leave mine on the charger once full; other than that no special steps.