Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop cleanliness

That's true, Bernie. I'm more focused on stuff being where it's supposed to be so I can find it the next time I need it rather than having a pristine floor. (Which is pretty much impossible with my CNC machine at this point)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I normally keep a clean and tidy shop for safety and efficiency.

Tools go back into their spaces frequently, and I clean up scraps and shavings several times per day.

The worst offenders are the lathe, hand planing and chiselling. The lathe has a floor sweep under it and I normally run it when turning, it keeps the shop air cleaner and Incan push shavings into the sweep frequently...Rod

Tips on how to clean up your shop/garage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE_A...PwJFbW-D2kWBdQ

Hard to keep a shop clean and neat in the middle of a project. I just wait until the project is done for a real clean-up and try to put things away after use.
    Been on a clean out phase lately getting rid of useless scraps and tools that are no longer used. Great to free up storage space. Making room for new tools/toys.

Two things I can't stand; losing track of tools and stumbling over crap on the floor.

Two of my former coworkers stand out in this respect. One exemplified the phrase "Always be knolling". His tools were either in his hands, laid out in an orderly manner on a bench or in his tool cabinet.

The other guy was the most productive worker in the shop, fast, accurate and able to have 3 projects in progress at once. If he (rarely) made a mistake it was fixed almost before anyone noticed. He had a habit, though, of saving time by snapping plywood trimmings into pieces small enough to go in the waste bin, which led to small shards littering the floor, inevitably fouling the wheels of someone else's tipcart.

I do at least keep the floor swept.