Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop cleanliness

Shop cleanliness

Hit me the other day that since I have gotten on this board my shop is getting cleaner, STILL not clean enough to post pictures on here.
    Helps that 8yr old granddaughter likes to sweep and vacuum when she is over here.
    Dust collection I have had since 1988 as a stand alone and 2000 as piped still gets modified added to and improved every year or two since getting on here
    Air filter was built in workbench 2001 and not changed since, got it right first time.
    Shop vac has been improved by adding cyclone with bigger shop vac and 2" pvc piping around the shop.
    Just seems like since seeing all the clean shop pictures I now keep the shop cleaner and now getting better about organizing it
    Maybe part of it is that I am just flat out running out of room to walk, build or move

Ron

Part of it for me is having places to put things. Finally starting to get cabinets and what not built. Things can actually be put away somewhere. They may not be their final resting place, as things evolve, but it is a place to store things and not clutter the horizontal surfaces. Dedicated piping for dust collection was a huge improvement 2 yrs ago for me. Having air filters helps out too. I have two of the smaller Wen units now, since I have an L shape shop with a giant header down the middle. Plus I have my huge down draft station (furnace blower) if I really need it.

Now I just need to work on a Shop Vac / Cyclone setup for the smaller tools and clean up.

To me it is never clean enough, but than again I may have issues.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Blog Entries
    I tend to tidy between big steps of a project, as well as in between projects. My reasons are that it is nicer (and safer) to spend so much time in a well-kept space... and, my brain feels cluttered if the shop is cluttered (and I certainly need every bit of brain power I can get to make projects turn out ok).
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Mine tends to need a good sweeping, but everything is usually put away. Even if I'm going to need something again, I tend to put items away while I'm working. Hunting for something really makes me unhappy, even when I'm the one that left it sitting somewhere. I just find it easier to work when I can can just open the correct drawer/cabinet a grab the tool.

I have a good dust collection (museum quality) but since I started turning more I just have to accept that my shop is never going to look like the one in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siizGKx-Kk8. A pushbroom and a grain scoop are frequently in use.

As far as organization, I have to put stuff away or I can't function. I hate misplacing tools and when I do I have a hard time moving forward until the missing item is found.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 01-15-2021 at 1:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    I also put things back after using them even though I may use them again in five minutes. The difficult situation of pawing through all kinds of random stuff on my workbench to find the tool I’m looking for got left behind long ago. If I always put the awl back after using it I know right where it’s going to be the next time I want it.

As for sweeping and vacuuming, I do that between steps or phases in an ongoing manner. I never try to get absolutely every speck of dust because the very next thing I’m going to do will just put some of it back. I go after the lion’s share regularly and two or three times a year will get back into the nitty-gritty corners and under things.

Having a place for everything makes working a pleasure and clean up a breeze. I certainly have a number of things that seem to get shuffled from spot to spot but these naturally reduce over time as I find permanent homes for them. I’m not a clean freak but I hate working in a messy shop not to mention that cluttered or messy surroundings can lead to accidents.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm like Glenn most of the time...tools, etc., go back to where they live as soon as the use if completed, even mid-project. I tend to do a heavier level of cleaning between projects or groups of projects, depending on the circumstances. I actually need to do some of that this afternoon, as a matter of fact, including emptying the cyclone bin which magically is full. Again.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I periodically sweep up during the course of the work day. For a good many years, I did not. Then I was working on a project and during the course of the work a piece split off and dropped to the floor. Realizing I could not match the grain and color of the dropped piece, I started looking on the floor and sweeping up around the bench. Took me a good 30 minutes to find it in the chips, etc., accumulated on the floor and bench.

As for putting the tools away, I have a cabinet close to the bench with the most used tools hanging, others in drawers. Just to keep tools off the bench, assembly table, and the floor, I will put up tools if they are not going to be utilized right away. At the end of the day, I put them all up and it is easy to realize if one is missing. I really try not to keep edged tools in the bench tool well as I once nicked two chisels that I later needed the same day.

Putting tools away and cleaning up at the end of the day, gives me time to think about what could I have done to make the day’s work easier and what I need to do on the morrow. Same thing going into the shop the next day, getting out any tools, etc., puts my mind in the right “zone” to get things done.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 01-15-2021 at 6:19 PM. Reason: spelling

There’s something about having a tool sucked up into the dust collector that focuses the mind wonderfully.

Similarly, with finding the wrong end of a chisel in the shavings. ;^)

Like many here, I try to put tools away when they are no longer needed for the task at hand. I like a clean and organized work area, but I've been so busy lately I've neglected the basic clean up tasks to the point where my shop is about as dirty and dusty as it has ever been. I was walking around last nite turning off the lights and the bench was clear, tools put away, etc. But the floor and the shelves are awash is shavings, chips, dust, flotsam, jetsam and lagan. So, since the Bears were nice enough to giver me my Sundays back, no tools will be pulled out until the place is cleaned and swept.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I have a good dust collection (museum quality) but since I started turning more I just have to accept that my shop is never going to look like the one in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siizGKx-Kk8.
    I couldn't work in that environment.....well, maybe if I was a surgeon. That looks like an operating room.

I can tolerate a bit of dust and mess. It makes me feel good. Not enough to interrupt woodworking progress. But I also wouldn't enjoy it if I was always cleaning.

I usually wait until the end of the day to clean unless it impedes the next step of a project. I do try to do simple things like throw scraps of wood into a bin for burning as I make them. But sawdust will sit on the floor until the end of the day. On occasion I'll leave it for a day or two if I'm trying to finish up a project or a major step of a project. As for tools, I move them out of the way in the middle of the day only if they are going to be in the way. At the end of the day I move the ones that I want to clean under. While I'm not the most organized person I don't like to work around clutter.

"That looks like an operating room"

The suit makes me think it's a law office.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    "That looks like an operating room"

The suit makes me think it's a law office.
    Spent my career in operating rooms. Hopefully your workshops have less blood and yuck in them.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

There is for me a difference between cleanliness and orderliness. Honestly I don’t do too well at either. Getting rid of sawdust, wood scraps, shavings and dust makes for a clean shop. But getting tools put away before everything I’ve used gets so deep on and around the bench that I’m calling myself names, seems to be how I have operated for years. Despite New Years resolutions to mend my ways I discover my eagerness to keep going on the project inhibits my conscious brain from stopping me and creating some order. BUT there is some hope! I’ve forced myself to wear a shop apron and am learning to return the tools to it when finished instead of laying them down and then looking for them and having to resort to more self deprecating name calling.