Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sliding table saw

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    This thread compelled my to visit the Felder and SCM websites. And I thought Thomas Lie-Neilsen ran a crack house! I need to save more money for retirement toys.
    LOL. That's why I never go to those sites.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

This thread compelled my to visit the Felder and SCM websites. And I thought Thomas Lie-Neilsen ran a crack house! I need to save more money for retirement toys.
    I'm very thankful that "pre-kids"....before we adopted the now adults, I had a few really good years and was able to invest in most of what I have now, knowing it would likely be much more difficult to do post-retirement. Of course, that now sets up the situation that when we downsize in the next few years, we have to find a property that I can fit the tools in, which is more expensive that the tools were. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Felder and SCM aren't crack houses, they're the gateway drug suppliers. Look at Martin for comparison

regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Felder and SCM aren't crack houses, they're the gateway drug suppliers. Look at Martin for comparison

regards, Rod.
    True dat. True dat.
    --

My dad was a tradesman and later, an industrial arts teacher for much of his career. He would not have known what to do with a sliding table saw if I gave him one. He definitely would have been in the "Cabinet saw or die"-club. So, there is certainly a demographic of woodworker who are going to stick with what they learned on and nothing will change that, no matter what. I call it the McDonald-Starbuck Syndrome: You've been going there for years because you know exactly what you will be getting, exactly how much it costs, and there is no decision making required: 100% safe and comfortable. Of course, we all know there are better burgers out there than McDonalds and better coffee out there than Starbucks. But, a server asking you what type of aoli you want with your beet fries or suggesting you actually try espresso will probably turn some people off. I guess that makes a slider beef tartare if you're a cabinet saw person?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

That was a an entertaining analogy, Erik.

There's no universally "correct" answer here, of course...other than the "different strokes, to different folks" thing, which seems appropriate when discussing sliding table saws.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    My dad was a tradesman and later, an industrial arts teacher for much of his career. He would not have known what to do with a sliding table saw if I gave him one. He definitely would have been in the "Cabinet saw or die"-club. So, there is certainly a demographic of woodworker who are going to stick with what they learned on and nothing will change that, no matter what. I call it the McDonald-Starbuck Syndrome: You've been going there for years because you know exactly what you will be getting, exactly how much it costs, and there is no decision making required: 100% safe and comfortable. Of course, we all know there are better burgers out there than McDonalds and better coffee out there than Starbucks. But, a server asking you what type of aoli you want with your beet fries or suggesting you actually try espresso will probably turn some people off. I guess that makes a slider beef tartare if you're a cabinet saw person?
    Erik
    Not at all, many just don’t see the value in buying a $20k tool when theirs already does everything they need. Dang, I have a 1600sf basement with three garage doors and I only use half for my shop, maybe I need to rethink this, LOL.

Erik

For some of us you should call it the "Mel's Downtown Diner" syndrome. A lot of us, I hope, would not got to starbucks or McD's on purpose, only if traveling or as a matter of convivence. Since I quit traveling 3 years ago I've been to McD's 3 or 4 times - the grandson likes it - and starbucks not at all. Mel's on the other hand - 2 or 3 times a week. Nothing quite like going out for pie and coffee where the pies are made by an actual baker. And there isn't a better burger or italian beef sandwich in the world than Mel's. Plus I can get there in the golf cart. So put me in the cabinet saw or die group. Aoli? Beet fries? Whachu talkin bout Willis?
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I see the value and versatility in a sliding saw now, however if I would have known about them when I upgraded to the SawStop ICS 5hp 36". I still would have bought the ICS because it really is too big for the space I have now. Flat out no room for the sliding table saw. House is paid for and I am retirement age and still working. Figure in a few years I will decide if i want to work into my late 70's to 80's then I will have an addition built on with master bedroom for SWMBO and a 600sqft walkout basement shop addition for me. Then there will be a 8' sliding saw, A3-41, edge sander, stroke sander, floor stand mortise machine, and probably even a dedicated finish room.
    Ron
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 01-18-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Not at all, many just don’t see the value in buying a $20k tool when theirs already does everything they need. Dang, I have a 1600sf basement with three garage doors and I only use half for my shop, maybe I need to rethink this, LOL.
    Bruce, I can't disagree with you except to say that there is a large demographic that just wants a slider (or other type of Euro machine). Some folks buy a Harley, some folks buy a boat, some folks buy a fancy Euro woodworking machine. Since someone mentioned Martin, I can almost guarantee that there are more Martin machines in rich hobbyist shops than in pro shops here in the US.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

You do need to rethink that...you're wasting perfectly good shop space with nothingness or for things that just don't count. (Unless it's being used by a spouse and then even your shop is fair game.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You do need to rethink that...you're wasting perfectly good shop space with nothingness or for things that just don't count. (Unless it's being used by a spouse and then even your shop is fair game.
    It’s all pretty full, we are into biking, ebikes too, one car for road trips in there, she put a car cover on it. Also car repair shop and room for big projects.

Well, there you go...your shop stays the same size. But maybe she'll let you "upgrade" some tools. LOL
    --

We paid $3500 for a Martin slider. Built like a German tank.

Bruce, I can't disagree with you except to say that there is a large demographic that just wants a slider (or other type of Euro machine). Some folks buy a Harley, some folks buy a boat, some folks buy a fancy Euro woodworking machine. Since someone mentioned Martin, I can almost guarantee that there are more Martin machines in rich hobbyist shops than in pro shops here in the US.

Erik
    Most pro shops have?