Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sliding table saw

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chouinard View Post
    Most pro shops have?
    Most commonly, some ancient Italian saw. Less commonly, an Altendorf. Very rarely, a Martin. But to be honest, none of the above. Most shops actually have a CNC router.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Most commonly, some ancient Italian saw. Less commonly, an Altendorf. Very rarely, a Martin. But to be honest, none of the above. Most shops actually have a CNC router.

Erik
    Thats just great Erik. Finally getting my hands on a slider... but now have to wonder about a CNC router. Having been in a small one man shop for the past 11-12 years I have had zero exposure to any CNC machines. How many people have to work in a shop before heading in that direction? I am still essentially in a one man shop, just a much larger one.

i am a one-man professional shop with a Martin slider and a CNC. the CNC acts as my employee, and i would never trade my Martin for anything, even though it takes up a ton of space, and i kept my cabinet saw for other operations. it's not an either-or... depending on what you build, the slider is a terrific tool for accuracy and efficiency. the addition of the Airtight clamps is actually a game-changer, and i don't use the fritz-and-franz anymore since installing the clamps.

the CNC has changed the way i design and build furniture and casework. but, it requires specialized software and the patience to learn it.

4. Just to add you can certainly get a good model for half that 20K. I took delivery last month of a Minimax sc4e and total with delivery just over $10,000. Many years ago I used one in a commercial setting so I have a little experience but still marvel at the ease of use. Once you get the differences down and modify your work methods it is a true pleasure to use.

I see the cost as a deal. My Dpmino XL with cutters was nearly 20% of that and while I have no issues in spending that much for a quality tool it makes the Minimax look cheap. I know it will last as long as I will so the cost per year, month, day or however you want to do the math is quite low. The space it takes up, well that's another story.

Ron, my slider takes up the same or less space than my cabinet saw did, and it has a tilting spindle shaper as well.

Most hobby users don't need a large slider, I just need one that can crosscut a sheet of plywood. Here's a photo of mine with the outrigger table removed, which is the normal condition for me.......Regards, Rod.Ellington at Work.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by David Zaret View Post
    i am a one-man professional shop with a Martin slider and a CNC. the CNC acts as my employee, and i would never trade my Martin for anything, even though it takes up a ton of space, and i kept my cabinet saw for other operations. it's not an either-or... depending on what you build, the slider is a terrific tool for accuracy and efficiency. the addition of the Airtight clamps is actually a game-changer, and i don't use the fritz-and-franz anymore since installing the clamps.

the CNC has changed the way i design and build furniture and casework. but, it requires specialized software and the patience to learn it.
    Thank you David. I am interested to know more about airtight clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chouinard View Post
    Thank you David. I am interested to know more about airtight clamps.

http://mac-campshure.squarespace.com/about