Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sliding table saw

Sliding table saw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siizGKx-Kk8

Hi all
    For those of you who have siding table saws and have used the Fritz and Frons, I think spelling wrong but you know I mean. About have way through video the operator demonstrates how to use the Fritz and frons. This was very interesting for me who loves sliding table saws and only has a sliding table attachment which I'm thankful to have. You may have seen this man before. Hope you find it encouraging and helpful. Thanks for looking, Bob

I bought a slider mostly to be able to crosscut wider stuff easier and accurately. Once I got it I learned it would do so much more. I wonder if this guy in the video will be trading his Felder for a Martin in a year

Also, I must be doing it all wrong. My shop never looks that spotless. But then I never wear a suit to work in.

The Fritz and Franz jig is essential with a slider... You can buy them premade, or you might want to look at Steve Rowe's youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Py...remeWoodworker

He shows you how to make one and has a bunch of other video's on how to use your slider that will really help.

Looks like an advertisement. Especially suspect when he says a 25k saw will pay for itself in a few months as compared to a cabinet saw. Looks like it takes longer to cut wood.

While I agree, demoing his Felder slider in a suit, in a shop with floors that looked clean enough to eat out of is suspect. Sliders are incredible. Used standard table saw for 30 years before I got my first slider and now I would not go back.

Don't need track saw to break down plywood.
    I can do miters / angles.
    It is worlds safer, you stand to the side, not in back of the blade.

With the Fritz & Franz jig you hands never get close to the wood. I can make veneer strips in seconds. In fact unless I'm cutting a long piece of wood or breaking down sheets, I pretty much have the jig on the table saw the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Looks like an advertisement. Especially suspect when he says a 25k saw will pay for itself in a few months as compared to a cabinet saw. Looks like it takes longer to cut wood.
    You'd have to see a professional operate one to understand.

At first glance, it might seem that way, but without the context of the cutting being done, it's not assured either way. But regardless, there are so many of us that wouldn't give up a true slider and go back to a cabinet saw. Yes, sometimes we take more time to do something that might seem simpler to do on a North American style saw, but there are benefits to that, too...more repeatable precision, elimination of the need to edge joint in many cases, no hands near the blade when using the slider wagon to support material, etc. It's just different, that's all, and different isn't bad.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like safety. Have Martin slider and a Sawstop. The Martin is my first exposure to a slider and I have quickly fallen in love. Need to make one of those F&F jigs

I can push an 8ft ply sheet through my saw without any roller stands with extension and side tables. I can straighten the edge of a crooked board too. I don’t doubt it’s a fine machine and I could by one but I don’t see the logic for a one man shop. Maybe if I was under 45 I would get some fancier tools. My tools don’t slow me down at all, it’s the age.

Bruce I hear what you are saying. However I have to say that I bought a slider at 50 and it has definitely been worth it for me. I do make my living out of my shop and I realize that everyone on this forum is not in same situation as me.

I can push an 8ft ply sheet through my saw without any roller stands with extension and side tables. I can straighten the edge of a crooked board too. I don’t doubt it’s a fine machine and I could by one but I don’t see the logic for a one man shop. Maybe if I was under 45 I would get some fancier tools. My tools don’t slow me down at all, it’s the age.
    Aging is precisely what makes a slider essential to me. Muscling sheets over a cabinet saw is a young man's game. Multiple stops and the rip fence means I can break a sheet down into components without lifting the matertial onto the saw multiple times. I can break a sheet down into cabinet parts in a couple of minutes, with little effort. This means I can turn 20 to 30 sheets into parts in an hour or two. Time is your most valuable resource, especially for a smaller operation where delegation is not an option.

Got this all figured out. The OP should have purchased a CNC router with three conveyor tables. One being routed. One waiting to be routed, and one being off loaded. Then he should have a sheet storage area close with a vacuum jib to load the sheets and mobile carts for the finished pieces. Wonder if I could get all that in my shop?

I used conventional table saws, including Saw Stops, for nearly 50 years. I got a Minimax SC4E at 66 years of age for the convenience and safety. Steve Rowe, AKA Extreme Woodworker has some excellent You Tube videos including several on the Fritz and Franz jig. Sam Blasco, one of the sales reps for SCMI/Minimax also has a number of excellent videos and does a great job of showing how a pro uses a slider in a working shop. He has an alternate take on things and uses a parallel positioner instead of a F&F jig. I use both.

This thread compelled my to visit the Felder and SCM websites. And I thought Thomas Lie-Neilsen ran a crack house! I need to save more money for retirement toys.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.