Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coming in for a landing

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Lee, I LOVE bird picts - please post more if you have them. A most excellent shot of the bird in flight!

I've been disappointed with game cameras, other than discouraging people from stealing fruit from my peach trees. I usually take wildlife pictures myself which can try the patience.

I caught the carolina wren taking off from my deck railing carrying materials to build a nest in a motorcycle helmet in my carport.

Attachment 449537 Attachment 449538 Attachment 449539

For these shots I set up a DSLR with on a tripod and used a remote control to trigger the camera. In a couple of pictures you can see me in the house window watching for the best moments. I stood there for hours and most of the shots were trash!

JKJ
    Nice captures John.... thought you might to see some I took of feeding the chickadees....

_MG_8267a.jpg _MG_8260a.jpg _MG_8283a.jpg _MG_8271a.jpg _MG_8325a.jpg _MG_8307a.jpg

Blog Entries
    Here is a Sharp Shinned hawk that visits our bird feeder fairly often for a meal.
    IMG_5277.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Chickadees are great little birdy buddies. Dad used to talk about how they would come to visit when he was deer hunting, landing on his rifle barrel and chirping at him. We had a nest full in my yard a few years ago. They were a friendly bunch.

50835041587_25911fd4b5_o.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Nice captures John.... thought you might to see some I took of feeding the chickadees....
    Great shots! Do you have to train the birds? I know a guy who trained a squirrel to eat from his hand - it took a LONG time!

I do have a half-grown peacock who will climb on my arm and eat from my hand. It was the only surviving bird from a hatch of three and very lonely so I spent a lot of time handling it.

This is from just a week or so old. It's about three months old now but will still climb on my arm and let me walk around and show him the other peafowl and the llamas.

peachick_pied_on_hand.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Great shots! Do you have to train the birds? I know a guy who trained a squirrel to eat from his hand - it took a LONG time!

I do have a half-grown peacock who will climb on my arm and eat from my hand. It was the only surviving bird from a hatch of three and very lonely so I spent a lot of time handling it.

This is from just a week or so old. It's about three months old now but will still climb on my arm and let me walk around and show him the other peafowl and the llamas.

peachick_pied_on_hand.jpg

JKJ
    Thanks John.... no training....these were taken at popular walking trails in a marsh area. There is a place to get the sunflower seeds and the birds are so used to being around people they come and feed ....