Thread: Looking for 8" Rockwell/Delta jointer part.

Looking for 8" Rockwell/Delta jointer part.

I recently picked up an older Rockwell/Delta 8" jointer model no. 37-315/serial LN1281. After pulling the cutterhead I removed the tables to clean and lube the dovetails. I discovered that the adjustment shaft is a bit stripped (see photo). I found one on ebay but the threads are right handed, mine are left handed. Delta's part no is #418044125005. That's the no. I found on diagrams online but mine must be older. Anyone out there have an older 8" they're parting out? I tried searching the classified but can't seem to figure it out. IMG_1107.jpg

I'm afraid I'm not much help. I looked at my 6" and it's a different setup. I'd guess that the infeed and outfeed tables are opposite thread direction? Try over at OWWM.ORG. I'm not a member there, but this is their thing. Make sure you read the rules....

Stan

Worst case if you can't find one, find a local machine shop and they should be able to duplicate that without a lot of difficulty.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Blog Entries
    Have you tried any local machine shops? That piece should be relatively easy to duplicate.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have the same machine, also with an adjustment screw issue, however on mine the threads are OK but the stop collar is worn part-way through. I'm assuming this is for the infeed table? Since these parts are hard to come by, could you just move this screw to the outfeed table? They are the same part, with left-hand threads on the business end.

Looking at the picture, I'd run a die over the threads, and see if it becomes useable after everything is lubed up. Second try would be swapping the shafts, like Marc said. Third option would be having one made. I have one of those jointers, but it's not going to be parted out.

Thanks for all of the replies. I've hunted everywhere for the part. I'm going to contact a friend who does machine work today. I think what happened is that the knob on the side needs to be loosened before the height can be changed. Over the years the people using the machine didn't realize that and just cranked on the handwheel. It did come out of a small commercial shop in Hartville Ohio.