Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading HVLP

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    He's gearing me to the AM5008/80008 kit. These are LVLP guns. I guess the issue would be these would only be appropriate for small stuff.

I am just thinking the small compressor will be a compromise in performance. I highly value the portability of a turbine system... I think I may just deal with it being theoretically less than perfect than a compressor gun. I get A- results and maybe that's good enough for me.
    From everything you've said it sounds like you should buy a turbine rig.

john

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    As long as the small compressor maintains the required CFM at 40 PSI, it will spray fine. It will just be noisy...but even my 60 gallon unit comes on periodically when I'm spraying as the 120 PSI max in the tank drops to whatever the level is that says "pamp-me-opp"...
    Yep, I forgot to mention the noise that ordinary pancake compressors make. There is a brand that people mention as much quieter - California Air tools - but I don't have any experience with them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    ... as much quieter - California Air tools ....
    They do. I got upset with my pancake compressors noise, (I suspect many labels on this basic machine,) even though it did everything I use it for. (Car tires, nailers, and other light duty stuff.) I paid a lot more for a CAT model with superficially the same capabilities. (Superficially, because I got the 100% duty cycle model which is significantly more capable than the cheapie and almost twice the price of the CAT 50% duty-cycle consumer model which otherwise has the same specs..)

It is quiet enough you don't really need hearing protection for when it's running. It is so quiet other things become significant, e.g. it has what I think is called a "unloading valve" that goes off and makes me jump every time the pump stops.

That said Rolair has similar models that are also quiet that I considered. Other brands have a quiet model or two that I never really considered.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    They do. I got upset with my pancake compressors noise, (I suspect many labels on this basic machine,) even though it did everything I use it for. (Car tires, nailers, and other light duty stuff.) I paid a lot more for a CAT model with superficially the same capabilities. (Superficially, because I got the 100% duty cycle model which is significantly more capable than the cheapie and almost twice the price of the CAT 50% duty-cycle consumer model which otherwise has the same specs..)

It is quiet enough you don't really need hearing protection for when it's running. It is so quiet other things become significant, e.g. it has what I think is called a "unloading valve" that goes off and makes me jump every time the pump stops.

That said Rolair has similar models that are also quiet that I considered. Other brands have a quiet model or two that I never really considered.
    The Kobalt “Quiet Tech” compressors are crazy quiet. My 4.3 gallon unit is IMO quieter than a coffee machine. I’ve never tried to spray with it, though. OTOH, it makes a fine continuous-duty 40psi blowgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    The Kobalt “Quiet Tech” compressors are crazy quiet. My 4.3 gallon unit is IMO quieter than a coffee machine. I’ve never tried to spray with it, though. OTOH, it makes a fine continuous-duty 40psi blowgun.
    I did look at that one's specs. It's spec'd at 60dB, the same as mine and a couple other CAT's and one of the Rolairs. There's a couple of smaller CAT's with even quieter specs. The Kobalt has a bigger tank, and higher max pressure. That might make it closer to what Prashun would need, though I don't know it's duty cycle.

I wasn't looking at really big ones, but there were a couple I made notes on a little bigger and 72dB to 79dB, still much less that the usual pancake model.

Circling back to this...

I ended up getting the Fuji Mini-Mite 4. In the end this was probably the right choice for me. The T3 gun is better made, has finer control, and more markings than the M gun. The turbine is quieter too.

I gotta say, though, eventually you just have to know your finish and your conditions; the rest is feel. There's no magic. I'm becoming a better sprayer not because of my equipment but just because of my experience and technique (read, trial and error).

Be sure you get some practice spraying in, Prashun. The warm air may affect the waterborne products you use differently than compressor air, so work it out in advance to note any of those differences.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I suspect you'll be happy with that setup Prashun. You said it a different way that "a carpenter always blames his tools" but good tools make it easier to do good work and I'll bet you will find it's easier to lay down a uniform coat of finish with this gun than the last, especially with products that are more difficult to spray.

John