Thread: Need new bandsaw blade, now that I had to replace the tensioning bracket.

Question Need new bandsaw blade, now that I had to replace the tensioning bracket.

Since I now have to replace the tensioning bracket on my BS with one that is similar but not the same (thanks Steel City) I may need to get a different size blade. Doing some calculations, with the tensioning mechanism at it's lowest point the overall blade length would be approx. 103.84" The original was labeled as a 105" blade. Because of the bracket change (see original post) I lose 3/8" of height on the bracket. I can technically still make the 105" blade work, but I have to kind of pretension the wheels a bit so the blade doesn't just flop all over.

I see Timber Wolf has all different sizes in 1/2" increments. So with a un-tensioned wheel of 103.84" is a 104" blade going to be to tight? The next step would be 104½". I guess I can make the 105" ones work until I need to replace them.

EDIT: well it definitly needs to be smaller than 105". Royal pain to swap blades!
    Last edited by Jim Fox; 01-22-2021 at 5:18 PM.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

If your bracket is 3/8" lower then the blade needs to be 3/4" shorter. You can buy blades of any length from many suppliers.

John