Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring joints for panel glue ups - concave, convex, expansion, etc.

Before I had a spring joint capable jointer we would make one cut starting a few inches back from board end and stopping a a few inches from the trailing end. Followed by a conventional pass over the entire board. This produces a fairly decent spring without readjusting the jointer.

I do all my edge gluing either in the JLT clamp rack or with bar clamps. I never felt the K body type clamps were enough unless a lot were used. I glue a lot of 8/4. With strong clamps less are needed. It’s magical how you can tighten the center clamp and watch the squeeze out run all the way to the ends.

Thank you, that helps a lot and am reading the other thread again too.

Mel, saw you were a pattern shop guy. I have worked in foundries, (facilities/plant engineering) you guys were definitely well respected, lots of skill, truly custom and high precision work. It was always a challenge for me to look at the tooling and visualize the final part.

Joe, Most interesting. Is that one described as "pattern makers" ? Never used one of those but have seen pics of those
    and did not understand how they worked. As the pics just showed outfeed in 'sliding board ' position. If you give us mfg. number,I would love to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Joe, Most interesting. Is that one described as "pattern makers" ? Never used one of those but have seen pics of those
    and did not understand how they worked. As the pics just showed outfeed in 'sliding board ' position. If you give us mfg. number,I would love to look it up.
    I just remembered that in an employment of at least 8 years ,there was a jointer with a spring joint gizmo . But
    management had told everyone to stop using it and to just use the hand wheel. Seems they had trouble with the
    unskilled messing with it! So I never learned how to use the built in thing...".you know...the thing...?" ( quote from great
    orator!) I remember it was about half way up on side of machine.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 01-16-2021 at 5:56 PM. Reason: typo

Hi, use a hand plane.....Regards, Rod

Mel, saw you were a pattern shop guy. I have worked in foundries, (facilities/plant engineering) you guys were definitely well respected, lots of skill, truly custom and high precision work. It was always a challenge for me to look at the tooling and visualize the final part.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I made the simpler stuff. Some of those patterns are extremely complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Mel, the concave - convex setting on the Martin jointer is just a simple knob you turn with a indicator to tell the position. It’s done on the infeed table. Panhans and Hofmann have similar as standard on their jointers also. Not sure if SCM has this on their Invincible jointers.
    Warren posted a picture in the other thread of a newer Martin jointer showing this.
    These are not considered pattern makers jointers.