Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commercial Grade 5 HP Compressor

Commercial Grade 5 HP Compressor

I need to replace my current air compressor. I only want to do this once. I'm considering Saylor Beall, Champion, and Schultz. Any thoughts?

DH has a Champion. When I asked him about it this morning his reply was "It is bulletproof and quiet". He uses it for running a blast cabinet, DA, painting etc, so it gets some fairly heavy use. They are available from TIP Tools for a fairly good price.

Add Quincy to your list
    Chuck

In addition to Quincy that was just mentioned, the higher end IR units are also worthy, IMHO. I have one of their more basic 60 gallon units and even it is really well made an devoid of the plastic parts that seem to be common on mass market machines.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would get whichever you can get the best deal on. I have a 5hp 2-stage that I don't know who made it. I bought it new in 1975 from Sears. At that time, before the internet, the two places I could get one locally, were Sears, and a NAPA auto parts store.

The one from Sears cost a lot less. I went in to order one, and the salesman said they had just sold one to a body shop, that the buyer wanted to return. He said if I went to pick it up, and could use it, that he'd sell it to me for $300. At the time, they were $995, plus tax for a new one. I went and looked at it. The guy running the body shop said it was made a "terrible noise" when they first turned it on. I saw that the belt guard had been bent into the compressor pulley. We put it in the back of my truck. I went back to Sears, and handed the saleman 3 hundred dollar bills.

When I got it home, I put my foot against the tank, and pulled the belt guard back in place with my arms. That compressor was my main compressor, that traveled around in a tool truck step van for 25 years. I finally outgrew that stepvan, and slid the compressor out on a stand I built for it in the horse trailer shed. I still use that compressor when one is needed close to the house, and I've never done anything with to it but change the oil, and a few regulators on it.

I don't see that brand makes a lot of difference to a hobbyist.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-14-2021 at 10:20 AM.

Almost all companies make several levels of compressors. The middle one will be pretty decent and splash lubed. the top end will be pressure lubed and may or may not have a better pump. In the quincy world QT is the low end and QR is the best- maybe the best of the best. The QR 325 is the pick of the litter. I would take a used one over most new compressors any day. Don't buy any compressor that runs over 900 rpm, and 600-700 is even better. Cast iron pumps are much better than aluminum. Saylor Beall PL and Curtis Masterline are very good too. Dave

The IR at Tractor Supply are made in India. Not sure if the motors are India or Mexico. Of course the design was perfected around 1920 so any where in the world is more then capable of making one as good as an old USA made one. Question is do they make good castings and take time to machiene them correctly.
    Bill D

I have never heard of any of those brands. But I know Quincy and IR make excellent commercial quality compressors.

I have a consumer level 5HP Ingersoll 60 gal and other than the pressure switch going bad, its been rock solid.

I'd stick with made in the USA too. I don't know who made the one I posted about earlier, but from 1975, I'd bet it's made here.

I also would not buy a new, large one. There are a Lot of them that come up on CL. I bought a 10hp pressure lubricated Speedaire off CL.

It was a state, and a half away, so I offered to pay the seller 200 to bring it, on top of his 500 asking price. He did. It looked good in the pictures, and when he got here with it, I saw it didn't look like it had been used much, but the wooden pallet it was still bolted to was rotten on the bottom. The seller said the guy that gave it to him, in exchange for some race car parts, owned some small manufacturing company. They had bought it, found out it wasn't large enough, and just pushed it back in the shed that had a dirt floor. The seller thought he could use it, but got it home, and figured out 3-phase wouldn't work at his shop.

It works fine, and is quieter than the old 5hp.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-14-2021 at 1:10 PM.

Ditto the USA made Quincy and Ingersoll Rand. I would personally avoid all the brands the OP listed because I've never heard of them, they are probably a one production run company to some extent. I do have a similar quality machine in my shop though, and it is ok for what I ask of it in that role. I believe it may be a Champion something, I got it cheap. It is a 5hp, won't keep up with a plasma cutter but works fine with nailers air clamps and other shop stuff. I doubt it will last long as the pump looks light, it's single cylinder, and the oil already looks a little dark.

Like Tom said, good industrial Quincy and IR come up used often and the local farm supply store probably has a good selection of both new.

Quincy and IR are the most common brands I see in local shops. Big shops will have a rotary screw-type.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Ditto the USA made Quincy and Ingersoll Rand. I would personally avoid all the brands the OP listed because I've never heard of them, they are probably a one production run company to some extent. I do have a similar quality machine in my shop though, and it is ok for what I ask of it in that role. I believe it may be a Champion something, I got it cheap. It is a 5hp, won't keep up with a plasma cutter but works fine with nailers air clamps and other shop stuff. I doubt it will last long as the pump looks light, it's single cylinder, and the oil already looks a little dark.

Like Tom said, good industrial Quincy and IR come up used often and the local farm supply store probably has a good selection of both new.

BS and Schultz are top old line brands. Not sure if Champion is or is not in that group. Old ones are great, new ones may have changed.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    BS and Schultz are top old line brands. Not sure if Champion is or is not in that group. Old ones are great, new ones may have changed.
    Bill D
    Bill, thanks for the heads up, I just learned something. Figured I'd check them out, Saylor and Beall looks good. USA plant, not a huge company and a long history. For whatever it's worth, I approve!

Schulz looks to be South American, hard to tell exactly where, lots of global stuff on their page.

I just bought a 5hp Polar Air made by Eaton. They’re based out of OH. Quietest 5hp compressor I’ve ever been around. My second choice was Quincy.

Great post Tom...common sense always wins the day.