Thread: drum/spindle sander for drill press

drum/spindle sander for drill press

Is anyone using a drum/spindle sander for a drill press instead of a benchtop spindle sander? Good vs Bad?

I will be using it to remove bandsaw marks and final sizing (sand to the line).

Until I got my benchtop spindle/belt sander I used a drum chucked in the drill press. Works OK for light/occasional use, but because the drum doesn't oscillate up and down, the sleeves clog very quickly and one section of the sleeve wears out quickly. You can make some spacers to extend the life by using more of the drum, but that's a bit of hassle.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

It's harder to see what you're doing, sanding to a line, because the drill press head is where your head wants to be. And I was not able to find a quality drum for the drill press, they all seemed to bulge and distort when tightened, so that the outside was not a straight line. I agree that it is fine for light and occasional work, and I would add imprecise to the list of necessary adjectives for a happy outcome.

Another former user. I used drums that use sandpaper refills. They worked fine, and you could use various grits on them. They come in sets from various places and on line sales.

As far as resetting the place on the drum that is used....that is another reason I like drill presses with the depth adjustment that uses the threaded rod on the side rather than the spring loaded ones. Just put the spindle lower, and lock it there to change the height.

If you make a simple box about 4" high with a hole for the drum, it becomes an adjustable sanding table.

Did it that way for years.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I did the Drill Press spindle sander for a time, but discovered it was affecting the accuracy of the Drill Press. Maybe it was my technique (or lack thereof), but I had to remove and re-seat my chuck to get to run true again. That's when I bought the Rigid Spindle/Belt Sander unit. It is a vast improvement for sanding and my drill press is remaining accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    I did the Drill Press spindle sander for a time, but discovered it was affecting the accuracy of the Drill Press. Maybe it was my technique (or lack thereof), but I had to remove and re-seat my chuck to get to run true again. That's when I bought the Rigid Spindle/Belt Sander unit. It is a vast improvement for sanding and my drill press is remaining accurate.
    This was actually one of my concerns. Would putting sideways pressure on the chuck cause my drill press to not be true and require maintenance/adjustments . This alone is a reason for me to NOT buy a sanding drum for the drill and just get a stand alone machine.

There are always better/ more expensive ways to do things in woodworking. The variables in deciding comes down to several things.
    How much you will use it.
    How much can you afford.
    How much physical space you have for more equipment.
    The level of accuracy your work requires.

The drill press drum has it’s limitations. If you go that way, buy the longest drums you can get for best performance.

My two pennies.

P.S. If I had to choose between a better drill press or a mediocre drill press and a low end oscillating sander, I’d opt for the better drill press.
    Last edited by Ron Citerone; 01-14-2021 at 9:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    There are always better/ more expensive ways to do things in woodworking. The variables in deciding comes down to several things.
    How much you will use it.
    How much can you afford.
    How much physical space you have for more equipment.
    The level of accuracy your work requires.

The drill press drum has it’s limitations. If you go that way, buy the longest drums you can get for best performance.

My two pennies.

P.S. If I had to choose between a better drill press or a mediocre drill press and a low end oscillating sander, I’d opt for the better drill press.
    Thanks -- I have a JET floor drill press - and after seeing Lisa's post I am in no way willing to risk messing up my drill press, it's not worth it any any cost.

I looked for the Ridged model that Lisa has and it's pretty much on backorder. I don't like mediocre tools(been there done that), i'll get annoyed at it and put it on craigslist, so the lower end spindle sanders like a the WEN/ShopFox/Triton (same machine, different paint job) with the small table is not even in consideration. Dust collection for me is a big factor as well. So being a Laguna fan, the SS|14 would be my first choice, also backorder. I already got a message back from Laguna that there might be an outlet one available in about 2 weeks, or I take advantage of JET sale and grab one from Home Depot with free shipping.

The drill press is not designed for the side loads from sanding with a drum in the chuck. I did it once in a pinch and it was a pain. I bought a Ridgid oscillating spindle sander immediately afterwards. What a difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Thanks -- I have a JET floor drill press - and after seeing Lisa's post I am in no way willing to risk messing up my drill press, it's not worth it any any cost.

I looked for the Ridged model that Lisa has and it's pretty much on backorder. I don't like mediocre tools(been there done that), i'll get annoyed at it and put it on craigslist, so the lower end spindle sanders like a the WEN/ShopFox/Triton (same machine, different paint job) with the small table is not even in consideration. Dust collection for me is a big factor as well. So being a Laguna fan, the SS|14 would be my first choice, also backorder. I already got a message back from Laguna that there might be an outlet one available in about 2 weeks, or I take advantage of JET sale and grab one from Home Depot with free shipping.
    There’s a long Amazon review of the SS|14 quoted in https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....1-483-Any-Good that you might want to have a look at.

If you get the Jet floorstander, be sure to follow up with us on how the dust collection is working.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    There’s a long Amazon review of the SS|14 quoted in https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....1-483-Any-Good that you might want to have a look at.

If you get the Jet floorstander, be sure to follow up with us on how the dust collection is working.
    I did read that thread about the SS|14, but found only one review on Amazon that complained that it didn't come with the 3" spindle. Laguna's web site and Amazon don't list a 3" so that might have been a mis-print in 2016 on Amazon's part back when the machine was new.

I won't be getting a floor standing jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post

I have the rigid also and love it. Both Triton and grizzly now offer belt/spindle combos that look like clones of the rigid at around the same price point. They might be more available.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--