Thread: Replacement drill press table

Replacement drill press table

I picked up a used JET JDP-17MF 17" drill press with no table. That model comes stock with a round table with slots shown in the photo, but I'm wondering if there are better options in terms of table shape or manufacturer. It looks like many of them use the same size mount - about 1 7/8" round from what I can tell. I do a mix of wood, metal and plastic. What things should I consider? I see that some have t-slots. Are those handy? I constantly attach a small fence to my small Ryobi DP, but it uses bolts through the slots. The stock table looks annoying like my Ryobi because an Irwin quick grip clamp won't be usable due to the lip around the edge. I may or may not add an auxiliary table for woodworking, but for general use I'll use the metal table. The round table also doesn't seem ideal for adding an auxiliary table either. Let me know if you have any thoughts!
    part_p_439004_3735213906.gif

So many of us only use that OEM table to support a more appropriate setup for our woodworking activities. Those are usually rectangular and often have things like tee tracks, fences, etc., to allow clamping and alignment, etc. You really don't need that cast iron table if yours is missing...you just need something round that's the correct size to fit into where the OEM table mounts so it can be secured to the DP and to your shop-made (or commercially purchased) DP table for woodworking.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I thought about that, but I do a fair amount of drilling in metal where i use lubricant and need a decent table with a fence and end stop. The lubricant and greasy shavings wouldn't go well with a woodworking auxiliary table.

Yes, that's true. If you're doing metal work, you'll want an appropriate surface for that work, but a removable woodworking optimized table is still a good think to add when you can. I don't think there is any concern with sourcing a new cast iron table from "wherever" as long as the post is the correct size to securely mount to the tool. There are both round and rectangular DP tables used on various manufacturer's tools, so if either has the right post, pick what you would prefer.
    --

My woodworking drill press is an old Asian import bench top model I bought back in the mid '80s. It got new bearings a few years ago but otherwise has been doing daily duty in my shop. It's direct (and nearly identical) descendants are still available from Grizzly. As for the table, I built a rectangular table using plans from Woodsmith (also in the '80s) and mounted it separately from the round cast iron table. I found a piece of iron pipe a bit bigger than the shank of the metal table, turned the OD of the unthreaded portion of the pipe down to match, and threaded a floor flange to the end for mounting on the wooden table. It's worked fine for over 30 years. About 10 years ago I built a frankenpress out of a Delta head and motor and a another brand of full height column and CI base, installed a VFD and made it my dedicated metalworking DP.

There are both round and rectangular DP tables used on various manufacturer's tools, so if either has the right post, pick what you would prefer.
    Since I haven't used a round one or a rectangular with t-slots and only one through hole, I was hoping to get some opinions on what others prefer. It seems like everybody here has a woodworking DP table though. It's probably a better question for a machining forum. Those guys seem pretty cranky though.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-14-2021 at 8:11 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

"Prefer" is difficult because the DP you buy has the table it comes with. I've not used one with a rectangular table, but I can see some advantages. OTOH, the round table for metal work has pretty flexible possibilities, too. There is a metalworking forum area here on SMC, so you might ask about table shape preferences there for metal drilling activities including what kind of vices folks prefer, etc.
    --