Thread: JT Turning Tools Precision Vacuum hub o-ring

JT Turning Tools Precision Vacuum hub o-ring

I was lucky enough to get a JTTT vacuum hub before poor Tom passed away. It uses a small o-ring to seal the pvc pipe inside the adapter. That o-ring comes out pretty easily. I've almost lost it a couple of times. Does anyone know the specs on that o-ring? It's about 2" in diameter and probably 0.05" in diameter. I haven't tried to measure it, and don't know what durometer it is. I'd like to buy a few spares because I know I'm going to eventually lose it. Or even a source to buy?

Sorry, I don't know the size needed. However, I'm a believer in keeping a variety of o-rings on hand. I have several assortments like this in both imperial and metric sizes and made from various materials and can almost always find one that fits.
    https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-50443A-.../dp/B000OMKIDI

If you don't know about it, you can also buy o-ring stock and make o-rings of any size. Google something like making o-rings for lots of info.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Sorry, I don't know the size needed. However, I'm a believer in keeping a variety of o-rings on hand. I have several assortments like this in both imperial and metric sizes and made from various materials and can almost always find one that fits.
    https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-50443A-.../dp/B000OMKIDI

If you don't know about it, you can also buy o-ring stock and make o-rings of any size. Google something like making o-rings for lots of info.

JKJ
    Thanks. I know this. But this o-ring has to be pretty precise. It has to fit around the boss on the hub but seal the pvc pipe faying surface. It has to be round (something < 0.1") and something like 2" in diameter, and resilient to compression. Flat will not work and their is little room to vary the size. They also need to withstand solvents like mineral oil, denatured alchohol, and acetone. I'd rather just buy them. I suspect Mcmaster Carr stocks the size for like $1 each in quantities of 10 or more usually. There are many that are close. I just don't want to waste $20 getting something that is just slightly too small, or too large, or too hard/soft. If no one knows the answer, I'll just measure carefully and take a chance at something Mc-C stocks. I may even try some a bit smaller than the hub boss, hoping they'll stay on better if I have to stretch it a bit to fit. But that is a $8 to $10 extra-curricular experiment.

Auto parts stores usually have a good selection on hand, in kits like John linked to. Take the hub and old O ring with you and let them hunt through their stock. If that fails equipment repair shops would be my next stop.

I have a kit of O-rings. About 400. O-rings come in Metric or Imperial. Mine are Imperial. I noticed that the O-rings seem to be measured as inside diameter. And my kit has a 1-7/8 and a 2".

So, if you want to measure the diameter, I'd take a compass and draw a 1-7/8" ID and a 2" ID, lay your existing O-ring over the circle and see if either are what you need.
    Last edited by Brice Rogers; 02-01-2021 at 10:27 PM.

FWIW, I have two of those hubs and bought replacement o-rings at a local hydraulic shop. I just bought in one of the "stock" ones and they matched it perfectly.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

BTW if anyone is looking for one, I know JT vacuum turning hubs are no longer available. I recently tried to find/buy one. Rubber Chucky is making and selling a similar one now that JTTT is gone. More money but made very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    BTW if anyone is looking for one, I know JT vacuum turning hubs are no longer available. I recently tried to find/buy one. Rubber Chucky is making and selling a similar one now that JTTT is gone. More money but made very well.
    Good to know. Thanks for sharing.