Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolverine jig bases

Wolverine jig bases

Does it hurt to mount the bases for the Oneway Wolverine grinding jig front of the grinding wheels instead of flush as the manual specifies?

You won't be able to use the platform for sharpening scrapers, and probably not some grinds with the Vari-grind either. If your grinder is too low, just add some plywood under the grinder so the platform fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    You won't be able to use the platform for sharpening scrapers, and probably not some grinds with the Vari-grind either. If your grinder is too low, just add some plywood under the grinder so the platform fits.
    Thanks, I am new to all this. I have a couple lathe chisels with pretty long handles. When sharpening them the arm of the "V" holder is only inserted about half way into the base when the base is located per the manual. My 8 inch grinder is within the required height the manual specifies. Thought about adding two more bases. They wouldn't be perfectly centered on the grinding wheel width though

It's important that the Wolverine bases be centered on the grinding wheel. I don't see any advantage to having multiple bases per wheel. If the bases were off centered, all of your grinds would be skewed to one side.

Not to take this off track, Mark, but be very careful when you are sharpening by putting the handle of your gouge in the V pocket, instead of using the platform or the varigrind. If the tip of your tool is too close to the rotational centre of the wheel, very ugly things can happen.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    Not to take this off track, Mark, but be very careful when you are sharpening by putting the handle of your gouge in the V pocket, instead of using the platform or the varigrind. If the tip of your tool is too close to the rotational centre of the wheel, very ugly things can happen.
    Agreed. I think it's too dangerous to put the handle in their V-holder. I use the varigrind for most gouges and the platform for everything else. Scarpers and skews are easy enough to sharpen on the platform. I do use a wixie protractor to set the platform- fastest way for repeatable angles for me.

Risk of an ugly happening: the tool can catch on the wheel, dig in on the wheel and take a chunk out of a conventional wheel or gouge the surface of a CBN wheel, and slam the tool down possibly damaging the wolverine and/or parts of yourself. Ack! There have been reports of this happening.

I was wary of this method from the start and after trying it haven't used it. For gouges I mostly use the Varigrind (the original, not the "improved" version 2). For scrapers, hand scrapers, custom tools, NRS, skews and occasional gouge I set the platform to the correct angle and sharpen freehand.

BTW, I have found this smaller Mini platform to be more useful than the larger platform for many tools, especially smaller tools in handles that are too short to work with the larger platform. I like it enough that I bought a second.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007W1NC78

mini-platform-wolverine.jpg

Also, the annoying long shaft of the V-pocket is now unnecessary so on one I cut it off to much shorter, keeping another the original length just in case.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 01-14-2021 at 12:17 PM.

Personally I can't understand why any one would use that V arm holder other than for the jig. A platform is far safer, and more simple to use.

robo hippy

I've been using the V-arm since the Wolverine was invented. My system has the steel bases, not the current extrusion. I have yet to come close to having a chisels catch and go below the wheel. It's very obvious to see that the chisels is getting close to center when you site the bevel. Just don't do that, plain and simple way to prevent it. Of course somebody is still going to ignore the danger and try it, but those are the same people that ignore the speed setting on the lathe when they mount a big blank. If the operator ignores standard safety practice, of course there is a chance they will get hurt.

The only thing I use the V arm for is setting the Wolverine jig for gouges. I got one of Robo Hippy's adjustable tool rests before he retired them. I took a black sharpie and marked each tool I sharpen on the Robo rest with the appropriate setting. Quick, easy and I don't have to remember the angle grind for all my different tools.

Setting platforms to specific angles

Quote Originally Posted by Robert D Evans View Post
    The only thing I use the V arm for is setting the Wolverine jig for gouges. I got one of Robo Hippy's adjustable tool rests before he retired them. I took a black sharpie and marked each tool I sharpen on the Robo rest with the appropriate setting. Quick, easy and I don't have to remember the angle grind for all my different tools.
    For those with rests without positive stops and a variety of angles, this works for me: plexiglas setting gauges cut to give the precise angle the first time, every time. I paint one side whilte to make it easy to see. I make them for NRS, scrapers, skews, etc.

I made them for the angles I use the most. This one is to grind hand scrapers at 90-deg. in use on a 600 grit CBN wheel:

template_angle_IMG_7898.jpg template_angle_IMG_7894.jpg

JKJ

So now that I have a new grinder and CBN wheels on the way its next a sharpening jig setup. Was planning on the Wolverine system and Varigrind 2 add. Any reason to go w/ the Varigrind 1? Anything else to consider with the base system and Varigrind attachment or will those two items cover it?

Allen -- If you haven't already bought the Wolverine system. I suggest you look at Woodcut's Tru-Grind system. It's base is much shorter than the Wolverine's. This allows your sharpening station to take up much less room from front to back of your grinder. Also, because the Tru-Grind uses a small cup to locate the gouge jig rather than the V-arm pocket of the Wolverine, I believe it's more accurate and easier to use. The Woodcut Tru-Grind is available on Amazon or at Woodworkers Emporium in Las Vegas. I have the Tru-Grind and like it. I've used the Wolverine system with the Varigrind. I like it, too. However, for the reasons mentioned above, I prefer the Tru-Grind.

If you already have the Wolverine base, most turners prefer the original Varigrind to the 'improved' version. The Varigrind 2 is designed to prevent the tool being sharpened from falling off the edge of the grinding wheel. It's easy to prevent that from happening by paying attention to what you're doing. Besides, with the wider width of CBN wheels, it's not nearly the issue it may have been with narrower traditional wheels. The Varigrind 2 prevents the tool from falling off the wheel by restricting the movement of the sharpening jig. Many users feel this makes the jig harder to use. It also prevents you from using the entire width of the wheel.

My personal favorite solution for an 8" grinder is Tormek's BGM-100 Bench Grinder Mount. This allows you to use Tormek's superior sharpening jigs with a bench grinder. Those jigs can be (are) expensive. However, I really think they are the best available. To match the Wolverine with the Varigrind, you'd want the BGM-100 Bench Grinder Mount, the SVD-110 Tool Rest (a/k/a platform), and the SVD-186 Turning Tool Sharpener (a/k/a Varigrind). Optional are the TTS-100 Turning Tool Sharpener Setter (which helps set the jigs up for each grind profile you'd like to make) and the SVS-50 Multi-jig, which is used for skews, parting tools, and roughing gouges. You can sharpen skews, parting tools, and roughing gouges on the platform freehand, but the jig makes it precise. Knowing what I know now, and given the options for CBN wheels we have now, I'd set up my sharpening station with an 8" bench grinder (most likely the Rikon 1hp), Mega-square CBN wheels, and Tormek jigs. All of that would cost less than what I paid for my Tormek (and jigs) back in 2005 or 2006. I still like my Tormek and the shallower hollow grind it's 10" wheel produces, but the system I just described would provide 95% of what I now get with my Rikon 8" grinder, CBN wheels, set up to use Tormek jigs, and my Tormek with it's super fine 10" wheel.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

David, I ordered a Rikon 1HP grinder and two mega-square CBN wheels (180/600). I will look into the Tru-Grind system, as I have NOT ordered a Wolverine as of yet. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    ...My personal favorite solution for an 8" grinder is Tormek's BGM-100 Bench Grinder Mount. This allows you to use Tormek's superior sharpening jigs with a bench grinder. Those jigs can be (are) expensive. However, I really think they are the best available. To match the Wolverine with the Varigrind, you'd want the BGM-100 Bench Grinder Mount, the SVD-110 Tool Rest (a/k/a platform), and the SVD-186 Turning Tool Sharpener (a/k/a Varigrind).....
    I agree this combo is useful. I added the Tormek support bar long ago to one of my bench grinders so I could use their jigs. I made a support block with clearance for the Wolverine handle so I switch between the Tormek and Wolverine system as needed. This old picture shows a platform mounted for some reason but I usually use it with the jig for sharpening gouges when I want a coarser wheel than the 1200 on the Tormek.

tormek_B.jpg

I do use the Varigrind jig quite a bit (and agree on the original instead of the Varigrind2) but the Tormek jig has one nice advantage over the Varigrind - it makes it easy to round the heel of the gouge bevel to eliminate accidental burnishing in tighter curves.