Thread: Wolverine jig bases

Wolverine jig bases

Does it hurt to mount the bases for the Oneway Wolverine grinding jig front of the grinding wheels instead of flush as the manual specifies?

You won't be able to use the platform for sharpening scrapers, and probably not some grinds with the Vari-grind either. If your grinder is too low, just add some plywood under the grinder so the platform fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    You won't be able to use the platform for sharpening scrapers, and probably not some grinds with the Vari-grind either. If your grinder is too low, just add some plywood under the grinder so the platform fits.
    Thanks, I am new to all this. I have a couple lathe chisels with pretty long handles. When sharpening them the arm of the "V" holder is only inserted about half way into the base when the base is located per the manual. My 8 inch grinder is within the required height the manual specifies. Thought about adding two more bases. They wouldn't be perfectly centered on the grinding wheel width though

It's important that the Wolverine bases be centered on the grinding wheel. I don't see any advantage to having multiple bases per wheel. If the bases were off centered, all of your grinds would be skewed to one side.

Not to take this off track, Mark, but be very careful when you are sharpening by putting the handle of your gouge in the V pocket, instead of using the platform or the varigrind. If the tip of your tool is too close to the rotational centre of the wheel, very ugly things can happen.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    Not to take this off track, Mark, but be very careful when you are sharpening by putting the handle of your gouge in the V pocket, instead of using the platform or the varigrind. If the tip of your tool is too close to the rotational centre of the wheel, very ugly things can happen.
    Agreed. I think it's too dangerous to put the handle in their V-holder. I use the varigrind for most gouges and the platform for everything else. Scarpers and skews are easy enough to sharpen on the platform. I do use a wixie protractor to set the platform- fastest way for repeatable angles for me.

Risk of an ugly happening: the tool can catch on the wheel, dig in on the wheel and take a chunk out of a conventional wheel or gouge the surface of a CBN wheel, and slam the tool down possibly damaging the wolverine and/or parts of yourself. Ack! There have been reports of this happening.

I was wary of this method from the start and after trying it haven't used it. For gouges I mostly use the Varigrind (the original, not the "improved" version 2). For scrapers, hand scrapers, custom tools, NRS, skews and occasional gouge I set the platform to the correct angle and sharpen freehand.

BTW, I have found this smaller Mini platform to be more useful than the larger platform for many tools, especially smaller tools in handles that are too short to work with the larger platform. I like it enough that I bought a second.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007W1NC78

mini-platform-wolverine.jpg

Also, the annoying long shaft of the V-pocket is now unnecessary so on one I cut it off to much shorter, keeping another the original length just in case.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 01-14-2021 at 1:17 PM.

Personally I can't understand why any one would use that V arm holder other than for the jig. A platform is far safer, and more simple to use.

robo hippy

I've been using the V-arm since the Wolverine was invented. My system has the steel bases, not the current extrusion. I have yet to come close to having a chisels catch and go below the wheel. It's very obvious to see that the chisels is getting close to center when you site the bevel. Just don't do that, plain and simple way to prevent it. Of course somebody is still going to ignore the danger and try it, but those are the same people that ignore the speed setting on the lathe when they mount a big blank. If the operator ignores standard safety practice, of course there is a chance they will get hurt.

The only thing I use the V arm for is setting the Wolverine jig for gouges. I got one of Robo Hippy's adjustable tool rests before he retired them. I took a black sharpie and marked each tool I sharpen on the Robo rest with the appropriate setting. Quick, easy and I don't have to remember the angle grind for all my different tools.

Setting platforms to specific angles

Quote Originally Posted by Robert D Evans View Post
    The only thing I use the V arm for is setting the Wolverine jig for gouges. I got one of Robo Hippy's adjustable tool rests before he retired them. I took a black sharpie and marked each tool I sharpen on the Robo rest with the appropriate setting. Quick, easy and I don't have to remember the angle grind for all my different tools.
    For those with rests without positive stops and a variety of angles, this works for me: plexiglas setting gauges cut to give the precise angle the first time, every time. I paint one side whilte to make it easy to see. I make them for NRS, scrapers, skews, etc.

I made them for the angles I use the most. This one is to grind hand scrapers at 90-deg. in use on a 600 grit CBN wheel:

template_angle_IMG_7898.jpg template_angle_IMG_7894.jpg

JKJ