Thread: Threading mode popularity?

Threading mode popularity?

Are there any statistics on what percentage of viewers are using which threading mode? E.g. linear, threaded, hybrid, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Are there any statistics on what percentage of viewers are using which threading mode? E.g. linear, threaded, hybrid, etc.
    I always try to quote who I'm replying to, because otherwise people might be left completely out to sea about the gist of the conversation. Depending on how they're looking at it, of course.

To what extent is this an exercise in futility?
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 01-15-2021 at 5:02 AM.

I always try to quote who I'm replying to, because otherwise people might be left completely out to sea about the gist of the conversation. Depending on how they're looking at it, of course.

To what extent is this an exercise in futility?
    I use the quote feature for two main reasons. The first reason is, as you wrote, to provide context to my reply. If the quoted post is long, I will include only the portion relevant to my reply and will also remove any images that are not relevant. I cringe when I see posts where someone has quoted a long post with images when this was not necessary.

The second reason I will use the quote feature when replying is to preserve the quoted comment in contentious discussions when the discussion board has generous editing times.

Hmmm. I see this has been moved from tech to off-topic. But it can really only be answered by the admins, everything else is speculation.

Blog Entries
    Mine used to be set to hybrid. Too many replies became buried in the various branches.

Linear seems to keep everything in an understandable order.

It is a little confusing when someone posts a one sentence reply to another member's post from three days back.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

But it can really only be answered by the admins, everything else is speculation.
    Aside from idle curiosity, why does it matter? Would knowing it change the way you post or read?

(Just FYI, I use linear-newest-first. And my head hurts when I consider the hoops the vB software has to jump through to deal rationally with a combination of threading mode and multi-quote.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    You could post a poll and develop your own statistics.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You could post a poll and develop your own statistics.
    I doubt that it would be representative, because most viewers don’t post. Y’all really don’t have access to this info?

It will often happen that somebody posts something and it’s impossible to know who they’re responding to, unless you switch to threaded mode, and even then who they’re _actually_ responding to may not be who they _think_ they’re responding to, because of the mode _they_ are using. :^) Hence it would be (perhaps mildly?) interesting to learn how much of a global issue this is...

FWIW, I read in linear (newest first) mode on my iPad usually, and in threaded mode on the desktop. The latter is a nuisance to keep track of new content with, as was mentioned previously, but seems to be the default, which methinks _most_ active readers would switch from (but maybe not.)
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 01-16-2021 at 6:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    I doubt that it would be representative, because most viewers don’t post. Y’all really don’t have access to this info?
    I know that I don't have access to that information if it even exists. I don't think any of the moderators would have that information. Send a PM to Aaron or Keith, maybe they have that information if it exists, since this is a user setting.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I know that I don't have access to that information if it even exists. I don't think any of the moderators would have that information. Send a PM to Aaron or Keith, maybe they have that information if it exists, since this is a user setting.
    It would be one of those cPanel admin type of things, with all the monitoring etc. Y’all are still using vBulletin and I don’t know how the transition to something else went or would go, or if that’s still an issue. Whatever the admin decides, that’s fine with me, this site is a treasure.