Thread: First guitar build

Blog Entries

First guitar build

Hello all,
    it was suggested that I start a thread here for a potential build. I’ve got some beautiful quilted maple, that could only be done justice as a guitar. Now I don’t play guitar, and certainly have never built one, so this is obviously a little daunting. But I’ve got a decent amount of woodworking experience, and a good shop, so I figure I can bumble my way through it. So my thoughts are to build a telecaster with a sipo mahogany and maple body, thinking for my first I’ll just buy a warmoth neck (I’m sure I will build one eventually). Given the amazing maple, and on the suggestion of some esteemed members here, thinking I should do a rear control cavity and omit the pick guard. I was going to buy the stew Mac template, and maybe just get their control cavity template and cover, and get the telecaster hardware kit from them as well, unless there’s something better. For finish I’ll spray water based emtech and polish it all to hell. So in my planning phase now, is there any books I should pick up? Anything else I’ll need for supplies? And is the set up post build tough? Thanks in advance, this forum has brought nothing but good advice, so I’ll take all that I can get.

these are the maple things I’ve got, if possible they’re even better in person
    A2E9A81F-AD4D-4A14-969E-290797652DF4.jpg39597547-1A80-4F8F-AB90-6732CCAA046A.jpg

If you haven't purchased the Warmouth neck yet, then I humbly suggest you either try to make the neck yourself. The shaping of the neck is one of the fun parts!

The fretboard needs to be accurately laid out and cut using a saw blade with a thin enough kerf (0.023") and radiused. If this part is daunting (it shouldn't be for a woodworker who understands how to mark and saw accurately) you can buy a pre-radiused fretboard from many places.

A couple sources for online parts:

Sweetwater,
    Reverb
    GuitarFetish
    Luthier Mercantile
    Elmer Guitar
    Philadelphia Luthier Supply
    and of course, Stewmac (which sells these amazing Dragon rasps that I highly recommend for general woodworking).

And of course, reluctantly, AMZN

Blog Entries
    I totally understand where your heads at with that, and honestly I will certainly build a neck for the next one if this goes well. More than anything I’m trying to avoid buying too many specialized tools for the first build, and if I like it I’ll go full Monty and build one. I’ve got no shortage of gorgeous wood for necks, but I’m trying to simplify the first build as much as I can.

I'm looking forward to this build.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That quilted Maple is simply stunning!! Can't wait to see this go through the stages.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by justin byers View Post
    Hello all,
    it was suggested that I start a thread here for a potential build. I’ve got some beautiful quilted maple, that could only be done justice as a guitar. Now I don’t play guitar, and certainly have never built one, so this is obviously a little daunting. But I’ve got a decent amount of woodworking experience, and a good shop, so I figure I can bumble my way through it. So my thoughts are to build a telecaster with a sipo mahogany and maple body, thinking for my first I’ll just buy a warmoth neck (I’m sure I will build one eventually). Given the amazing maple, and on the suggestion of some esteemed members here, thinking I should do a rear control cavity and omit the pick guard. I was going to buy the stew Mac template, and maybe just get their control cavity template and cover, and get the telecaster hardware kit from them as well, unless there’s something better. For finish I’ll spray water based emtech and polish it all to hell. So in my planning phase now, is there any books I should pick up? Anything else I’ll need for supplies? And is the set up post build tough? Thanks in advance, this forum has brought nothing but good advice, so I’ll take all that I can get.
    Justin,

Several years ago I got the itch to build a Strat. I had never made any kind of instrument before and, quite honestly, my woodworking expertise was mediocre. But I dove in anyway. There were a lot of members here who helped immensely and in the end it was a pretty respectable guitar. And, like you, I am not a player but players who have played the guitar liked it. So don't be shy.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Justin, I just noticed you're "up north"...Solo Music is another supplier and they are on your side of the line which may be favorable for taxes/shipping, but I don't know for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I’ll check em out!