Thread: Downed Apple tree; what are it's project strengths?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Apple is one of the hardest fruitwoods I know of. It's difficult to mill and loves to twist and split when it dries. My planer protested when I planed some. Cherry and pear are far nicer to work with in every regard. Turning projects are where I'd look to use it.

John

You might also use the root ball which may contain interesting grain patterns. They are a beast to clean however.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Beautiful turning stock, but a bear to dry without cracking. Very much worth it if you succeed.

Apple can be a nightmare to dry but if you end up with some usable stock it is absolutely my favorite wood. It's really difficult to find good sized boards of Apple. I've only been able to make a couple small boxes and some spoons out of the Apple I've got a hold of. But like I said before, it is such a beautiful wood to look at and work with.

If you can't use it all, you may want to talk to a local turning club. Apple makes fine bowls.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Apple was the very first wood I milled when I bought a Logosol mill back around 2002. I still have the boards, about 50 board feet of beautiful yet warped wood. I haven't found a good use for it yet. I'm kind of afraid to use it because it's nearly impossible to get actual boards from apple. I've used smaller pieces from the firewood pile for tool handles.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983