Thread: Oneway Stronghold Chuck

Oneway Stronghold Chuck

I have three of these now and note the newer ones has a different gear size than the older one I have. I love the chuck but really want to have only one key. Has anyone had any luck changing the gears in an older one to allow the new key to work it? Counting the teeth in the key I discovered that the new one has 12 teeth and the old one had 11? Can only assume that Oneway has had to change to save a few bucks on each chuck.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    I have three of these now and note the newer ones has a different gear size than the older one I have. I love the chuck but really want to have only one key. Has anyone had any luck changing the gears in an older one to allow the new key to work it? Counting the teeth in the key I discovered that the new one has 12 teeth and the old one had 11? Can only assume that Oneway has had to change to save a few bucks on each chuck.
    What do you mean by "newer"? I have two -- one bought 10+ years ago, the other perhaps 3 years ago -- the key for each works perfectly in the other.

Robert I bought one about 20 years ago. One about 2 years ago and one this year. Playing around with them again this morning I discovered that:
    The original key will work only the oldest chuck
    The key I got this year will operate both the newer chucks
    The key I go a couple of years ago will operate the newest chuck, turns it like silk
    - It will operate the chuck I got a few years ago but not very smoothly
    - It will operate the oldest chuck but makes a kind of rattle when operating and will 'stick' every once in a while
    So to sum up I guess I do have one key that will work all the chucks it just bothers me a little.
    Probably it's just that I expected more from this company.
    I have written them several times without reply . . .
    Last edited by Peter Blair; 01-13-2021 at 11:05 AM.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Your best bet is to give the folks at Oneway a call. Real people there, they answer the phone and are quite helpful. They can probably supply the parts if it's possible.

I don't change the chuck very often in a job, so I wrapped a stripe of red tape around the key shaft and painted a thin red ring around the chuck. The only chuck that is a mismatch with the other 4 chucks is the one I bought in the late 90s.

Yes Richard that is about the same age as my first Stronghold. I love these chucks and I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and do the same as you. By the way have you counted the teeth on the keys? I'm assuming you have the same issue as i do.
    Pete

I know Oneway has a great reputation but My first chuck was a Oneway Talon and the key constantly was binding or skipping. I started buying SuperNova 2 chucks and they work so much better....I may have gotten a lemon but for the higher price it just wasn’t worth it to me and even though I still have the Talon, I rarely use it because it because the SN2s work so much better and smoother.
    I would have bought a new key but the key alone is like 1/3 the cost of a new SN2!
    Tom

Because I have never had a Talon I don't feel as if I can comment. I do however have a Nova and and doesn't compare to the Stronghold in any way. The three that I have work flawlessly one since the late 90's with nothing but a blow out every few years and still turns like silk with it's original key. Both the new ones work just as well. My issue is with the changing of the key not the chuck at all. Aside from the strong grip on just about any thing I think one of it's strong points is the way the key can be used to remove it from the lathe with an piece in the Jaws. Sorry if my note misled anyone I love the Chucks just was hoping to be able to use one key on all three.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    I know Oneway has a great reputation but My first chuck was a Oneway Talon and the key constantly was binding or skipping. I started buying SuperNova 2 chucks and they work so much better....I may have gotten a lemon but for the higher price it just wasn’t worth it to me and even though I still have the Talon, I rarely use it because it because the SN2s work so much better and smoother.
    I would have bought a new key but the key alone is like 1/3 the cost of a new SN2!
    Tom
    The exact opposite of my experience. All my Talons and Strongholds have performed flawlessly for decades. There is no such thing as a problem with lemons with Oneway. You just didn't call them to talk about it. I'm sure if you still have it, they will replace it. I talked to Kevin once about an issue with my lathe. He said if it's our fault, we fix it. No more discussion. Just talk to them first, and send it in.

Peter; I do have the same issues as you, I'll count teeth and get back with you.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 01-14-2021 at 3:52 PM.

Here is the response I got from Oneway.

Your observations are correct, new keys and old chucks do not play nicely together. We originally had the teeth cut by an outside source but when we brought them in house we had to make some changes. The solution is to change the scroll in the old chuck. We do offer a scroll, part number 2998 for 26.95. The price is very low as we do feel an obligation to older chuck owners such as yourself.

I ordered one for $41.00CA so If anyone wants to change the newer type I do have a spare . .
    Pete

Thanks for this post Pete - I, too have the same problem. Three Strongholds of various ages, the oldest is the one that misbehaves with the newer key. I thought I just had to live with it...glad to hear there’s a solution. The three Talons I have don’t have the same problem.

I’ll be ordering a new scroll tomorrow.

I must be living right or my strongholds are old as all 3 use the same key

Ok, so I now have one of the older style scroll for a Oneway Stronghold Chuck if any one is in need of one it can be yours for just the shipping cost. This would work if you have two one older style and one newer you could then have the key for the older one work both.
    Pete

Just a quick update on the old/new Oneway Stronghold Chuck situation.

I ordered the scroll that was suggested by Oneway and paid for it and shipping.

I installed it and found that it just isn't quite right. When I tightened a piece of wood in it with one of the holes and then tried to check the tightness with the other hole the key would not go all the way into the chuck. I could get it to go in with a little twist and grind but even then the gears just didn't feel quite right.

In addition, I have been turning for over 30 years and last week with this chuck and the new scroll a piece came loose while I was turning first time ever!!

I contacted Oneway and it was suggested I return my chuck and the new scroll and they would TRY to fix it. Oh and it was up to me to pay shipping both ways.

I then said instead of being without the chuck for who knows how long and paying for shipping both ways how about if I just return the scroll for a refund.

She said sure as long as I was willing to pay for shipping. When I asked why I should pay, considering I bought the part they told me to get and it didn't work? The person I talked to got a little upset and said "I really don't feel like arguing with you". I was then told to take it to Canada Post, send it to them and she would refund the cost of postage as well as the cost of the part.

I love my Oneway but that was a Gong Show.

Unfortunately I am now just going to live with the fact that this old chuck will need its own key.
    Pete