Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router Recommendation

For me, with guide or template routing, it's not so just low center of gravity, but also low, strong grips, of which there are several fixed base routers. I have and like the Milwaukee 5616 in a fixed base, but for a router dedicated to this purpose, I'd probably prefer the 5615.

I too would not buy a PC router, unless I already had several, and wanted continuity (or a backup supply).

PC, by driving their product line out of business with poor quality and no innovation, gave the ultimate middle finger to their customers.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    For me, with guide or template routing, it's not so just low center of gravity, but also low, strong grips, of which there are several fixed base routers. I have and like the Milwaukee 5616 in a fixed base, but for a router dedicated to this purpose, I'd probably prefer the 5615.

I too would not buy a PC router, unless I already had several, and wanted continuity (or a backup supply).

PC, by driving their product line out of business with poor quality and no innovation, gave the ultimate middle finger to their customers.

-- Andy - Arlington TX
    Andy ,Porter Cable did not run their tools into the ground. Dewalt did, the decline happened after Dewalt purchased them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Andy ,Porter Cable did not run their tools into the ground. Dewalt did, the decline happened after Dewalt purchased them.
    What I'd read - don't know how true it is - is that Black & Decker who owns DeWalt and Porter Cable was going to make the yellow tools the "professional grade" line and the gray tools the consumer line.

Curt, I think it's more likely that DeWalt stays pro where it has a huge presence and Craftsman is the consumer line. That puts PC in a precarious position...

https://www.stanleyblackanddecker.co...ses/our-brands
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Curt, I think it's more likely that DeWalt stays pro where it has a huge presence and Craftsman is the consumer line. That puts PC in a precarious position...

https://www.stanleyblackanddecker.co...ses/our-brands
    Could it be that PC will disappear altogether? I agree, with the lines of B&D, Craftsman, and DeWalt, there is no room for PC.

Some brands have an exclusive deal, like Milwaukee being sold in Home Depot but not Lowes. I could see where having two different brands could be useful, one at each big box store. But DeWalt is sold everywhere. With Craftsman now being pushed in Lowes it does leave the PC brand a limited place in the market. Chances are they will just die out.

Reminds me of AEG, a German company. I have a corded screw gun that's at least 25 years old now. It's been used on commercial job sites for years and has never skipped a beat. Then the Chinese company that owns Milwaukee and Ryobi bought them. With Milwaukee being their premium brand and Ryobi their entry brand it left AEG tools out of a place. I read that they rebranded the tools as Rigid for the US market but I'm sure they have nothing in common with what Germany was making. I wouldn't doubt one bit if Rigid tools were made in the same factory as Ryobi. With Lowes having Craftsman (same company as PC) and HD having Rigid I don't know where PC would find a home. Plus add the Black and Decker brand name into the mix, that's 4 brands (not including the Stanly name) with PC being at the bottom of how well known they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Ultimately SBD (Stanley Black & Decker) owns what's left of PC now, along with DeWalt and Craftsman.

So, in a sense, your are correct. But PC had a choice, and sold out their customers, along with themselves. PC cared about their customers and their quality right up until that decision, when they took the money and ran.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    Could it be that PC will disappear altogether? I agree, with the lines of B&D, Craftsman, and DeWalt, there is no room for PC.
    That's been my thinking for a while now since the routers went "poof". It will be interesting to see how this plays out. There are honestly a lot of brands out there in the market and having too many under one roof may not make financial sense in the same way that GM had to downsize its brand stable for what were essentially multiple nameplates on the same general vehicles.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’ll give another vote for the Festool OF1400. I know they’re spendy, but once I picked one up off Festool Recon I basically stopped using every other router in my kit (except for my cordless Makita trim router). It’s just that good.

The thing I didn't like about the early PC690's was that they didn't have soft start and really torqued on startup. One almost got away from me because of that one time.

I think they added soft start to the later 690's.

Second comment: I find that I use a trim router most of the time now. I only use a full sized router for big things. The small trim router have a lot of power and they're easy to handle and use. I use the DeWalt trim router. I have six of them - four corded and two cordless. The cordless are used the most.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-18-2021 at 1:34 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.