Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Recommendation

Router Recommendation

While using my Leigh dovetail jig, my Bosch router is difficult to finely adjust the height of the bit. Can anyone recommend a router where the bit height can be easily & finely adjusted.

Thanks.

Porter Cable 690's work for me have two dedicated to the Leigh dovetail jig. Getting harder to get now about a year or so ago they were severely discounted of course it was after I bought mine used
    Ron

I also use two d handled porter cable routers. They have treated me great while using the leigh jig.

Blog Entries
    The PC 690 is a light, reliable and comfortable router. A pair dedicated to the jig would be a real asset. I would look to used after the last few years of PC's decline. If shopping new I would look for "uncomplicated" adjustments like on a Milwaukee or a DeWalt. There are some great adjustment systems out there for things that will change a lot during use. Your requirement is an accurate setup that will change rarely. The rotating ring on the PC 690 is hard to beat. The big rubber knob on the Milwaukee makes fine tuning a breeze as well. I could also see the value of a d-handle setup for jig use as long as the trigger lock was easily engaged. Fussy trigger locks may as well not be there.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-13-2021 at 11:01 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

the festool stuff while expensive is very good with adjustability. the only other routers i have are palm and one in a lift.

I use two D handled DeWalt 618's. I prefer the D handles because of the trigger and because they are a bit more stable, but the D handle isn't that important, just nice because I have them.

What is important is to put a piece of tape on the top of each motor with the shape of the bit installed, so you don't pick up the wrong one. DAMHIKT. The DW618 routers are bigger than really necessary, but routers with 1/2" collets are very necessary, because 1/4" bits flex to much for cutting good dovetail joints. I also draw an arrow on the top side of each base and point this arrow at the jig when cutting the pins and the dovetails. Doing this will negate any slight router bushing to router base offsets. I center the bases with the centering cone, but then do this too for an extra guarantee that my dovetail joints will fit together perfectly. It's always a good Idea to make two passes just to be sure that you haven't drifted off the guide anywhere as well.

Charley

If you can find a PC I wouldn't buy one I would be concerned about future parts availability.

That said, I own 5 and don't think I've ever fixed anything on any of them.

Two dedicated 690's here, too.

I have a Triton in my router table which has a fine tuning adjustment knob. Works well.

A fixed base router with either standard or D-handle is excellent for use with dovetail jigs as the height adjustment is easy by just twisting the motor body and then locking it as well as the center of gravity is lower than a plunger, making it more stable for the work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I bought a Festool, in large part, because of frustrations with trying to set bit height in a PC 690. The OF1400 has fine thread screws in each turret position for the ultimate in easy and very fine adjustment. YMWV

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Two dedicated 690's here, too.
    Same here.

I haven’t used many larger routers out of a table other than The Festool OF 1400, quite happy with it, super versatile especially when you get the track mounting attachments and their edge guide. Only issue is that it doesn’t have a built in light. It’s very expensive, especially when you get all the attachments, but everyone’s budgets and needs are different.

If you want a plunger for the Leigh jig and use the 8mm shank cutters that Leigh recommends, the smaller Festool OF1010 has clean adjustability and is less weight with a lower center of gravity than the OF1400. Personally, before I sold my Leigh jig, I used both a DW618 fixed base and the OF1010 as the go-to routers for the jig.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    If you can find a PC I wouldn't buy one I would be concerned about future parts availability.

That said, I own 5 and don't think I've ever fixed anything on any of them.
    Parts could become a problem but I'd think there are 3rd party sources for the most likely failure items. Bearings and brushes are certainly available 3rd party. Elaire makes P-C collets, maybe better than P-C. Switches could become a problem I guess. Yes low center of gravity is useful for jig use and one of the downsides to the P-C 890 series routers, they're pretty tall.