Thread: What thread Millers Fall handle?Hi guys,

What thread Millers Fall handle?Hi guys,

Hi, guys,
    I have a Millers Fall hand plane I am replacing the handle and tote on. This was a project from a couple of years ago, and I have lost the screw that secures the handle to the plane. Does anyone know what thread those were/are?
    Thanks

I seem to recall that Millers Falls used just "normal" sized threads....unlike Stanley's weird threads...

Thanks, Steven. I have a bolt here that fits a bit loose until you tighten it all the way down. Then it is good and tight. I'll stop by Lowes and get the appropriate length. Just wanted confirmation.
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 01-28-2021 at 7:54 PM. Reason: misspelling

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    Hi, guys,
    I have a Millers Fall hand plane I am replacing the handle and tote on. This was a project from a couple of years ago, and I have lost the screw that secures the handle to the plane. Does anyone know what thread those were/are?
    Thanks
    Did you loose both the tote and the knob screws?

If not, you might check to see if the knob screw fits properly into the tote mount. Then at least you will have a starting point.

A thread gauge is a handy tool to have and good ones are not expensive. Make sure it has the odd pitches like 20 & 28 tpi. Those are common in the world of hand planes.

A size gauge is also handy. Stanley uses #12 size screws as do other plane makers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks, Jim. Much appreciated.