Thread: Extending Tables On A Jointer

Extending Tables On A Jointer

I have a 6" Grizzly, in the old "puke green.' It's so old, that the serial number is embossed tape. It serves my needs, except for length. With a sled and planer, I can face joint 9" wide boards. Because of the way the tables were cast, there is a slight taper on the sides. My neighbor has a Brdigeport and could mill sides to be square to beds. Thinking about adding some angle (bolted) to the sides with some laminate topped ply between the angles to extend bed length. By using bolts to attach angle to tables, they could be folded down when not needed. Anybody ever done this?

When I have really long stock to joint, I use two of these:

DSC_0150a.jpg

It's a bit of a pain to set them up, but they don't have to be perfect. And they are really handy for use with other tools like the bandsaw, or just as extra work surfaces (I have plywood tops that drop on top with a cleat so they don't roll off). When folded up they don't take much room.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Adding short extensions should be reasonably doable. The biggest challenge will be making sure they are registered well to the surface of the machines tables. They need to be short enough to resist sagging over time, too. I do similar to Paul, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I currently use extensions for edge jointing on a Jet 6" jointer. have two section of bowling alley lane about 9"x7' cut a rabbet across the end and use two pieces of scrap 3/4" approx. 4"x7" as clamps on top. can face joint 6" also with them. Out feed section stays in place the in feed gets mounted as needed, less than a min to mount. Far end of both rest on a 3/4" board permantly fastened to workbench on in feed and wall on out feed. Have a Shop Fox 8" jointer in the crate needing moved down into the basement and the wall for the out feed side has disappeared in the last week. New jointer has longer tables so will probably still use the in feed table with a different attachment method, not certain on out feed what I will do yet
    Have made up extension tables out of wood for the last 36 yr starting with a 4" jointer about 24" long, can do 8' boards now and with wall gone should be able to joint 10' boards maybe 11'.
    Good luck
    Ron

OP, not sure what your budget is but google "Aigner extension tables". There are surely some pics here in past threads. Not cheap, but awesome. US dealers are Simantech and Martin USA.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    OP, not sure what your budget is but google "Aigner extension tables". There are surely some pics here in past threads. Not cheap, but awesome. US dealers are Simantech and Martin USA.

Erik
    You can also use the Hammer extension tables,I've added them to non Hammer machines for a couple of friends.............Rod.